Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 29g Biocube. I'm planning on taking out the plastic back wall to increase display area. I'm going to build a sump that will fit in the stand, so I am going to drill the back glass for an overflow. I think I am going to go with a glass holes overflow, but I am really unsure of how many GPH I am going to want going through the sump.

So how many GPH do you guys think I need going through the sump? I will just have a skimmer and bio pellet reactor in the sump, no refugium.

I have an MP 10 for flow so I don't need to rely on the return for flow. I just want to know what will be best for the skimmer and bio pellet reactor to function optimally.

Thanks in advance, Allen.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Well it kinda depends on what the reactor and skimmer need for input really. I would shoot for something about double their needed input.That way you are cycling through the tanks water at a good pace but not too quickly. Since you are not using a fuge I would say 600-800gph.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I think 600 to 800 GPH is way, way too much. How many gallons is the fuge going to be? I would only shoot for 10 fuge turn overs per hour. I'm guessing if it is going to fit in the stand you are looking at 20 gallons or so. I would do a 700 kit from GH and a 300ish GPH pump after head loss. When you try to turn too many times with your sump and return ist's usually just a noisy, microbubble fest in my experience.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I thought 600-800 sounded a little high. I think I have about 650 going through my fuge for my 90 gallon. I'm not quite sure how big my sump is going to be, but I'm going to make it as big as will fit. I want to add as much water volume as I can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts