Michigan Reefers banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok this may be a dumb question but in years past I never used it for my reef tank. I never had problems with hair algae or any other problems keeping lps and soft corals and clams. Note: I am hooked into city water supplied from the waterworks park facility that supplies the metro detroit area. I'm also a journeyman plumber out of local 98who has had a tour of the facility when it was being built. Although it's not ro/di water, it's one of the best facilities in the country.

I'm in the process of setting my reef tank back up (it's been down for over 5 years) and plan to keep sps corals.

Has anyone had an analysis of city water in the past few years?

If I need to get a unit I will, I'm just frugal I suppose.....*Puts water in a 40 gal plastic garbage can with a heater and aerates it for a few days*

·
Registered
313 Posts
City Water

The down river municipal water quality is quite good. If your tank looks great and all creatures are doing well, then don't change anything. In Michigan, most wells contain silica, iron, and some calcium and some residual phosphate from iron removal at water processing facilities--a major problem for reef keeping....Jim Z.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I recommend using rodi because you can start your water chemistry off in as much of a neutral balance as possible.
This way you always have a baseline for additions to your water based upon the needs of your aquarium.
In my 22 years of service, water chemistry and water quality is the number one factor in determining the long term success of any given aquarium.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts