Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How should I do the switch over to RO/DI? I have been using tap water since i started the tank. I am gonna try RO/DI to see how big aof a difference it makes. How should I do the transition. How long will it take before I start seeing a difference? Will the water just say RO/DI on the container? I have a korgers like 2 minutes away so....

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
You don't need to do anything to switch over. Just use it instead of your tap water. Do you have a tds meter? If not, you can pick one up on Ebay - you'll need one. Water varies by store and how often they change their filters. You may find Krogers has a high tds, while Meijers has another. You want the lowest possible tds. As far as what it says on the bottle, I know others have used distilled - I've never bought water so I can't help you there.

It will be weeks to months before you see results. Your tank is fairly new, and with each water change you'll be reducing nutrients. The more frequent (once a week minimim of 10%), the quicker the results. 20% weekly would be even better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i went to the store and saw a few types. It is by a company called absopure. It was .82 per gallon. One container says Purified drinking water processed by distillation or reverse osmosis. Than the other container says steam distilled drinking water processed by steam distilation. Are these ok to use? What one is better?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so what one are you talking about the purified of the steam distiled. There was 3 option and spring water was out of this picture. so I got steam distiled and a purified which are seperate types.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
the steam distilled and purified are going to be about equal in my opinion. but we will never know until its tested.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I read that link, just had a question for the coral keepers. The spring water seemed to have all the minerals and stuff. Don't coral need calcium and other minerals? So wouldn't the spring water be the best? Or is the other stuff harmful? Or do you go with the distiller and add the minerals as needed?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I read that link, just had a question for the coral keepers. The spring water seemed to have all the minerals and stuff. Don't coral need calcium and other minerals? So wouldn't the spring water be the best? Or is the other stuff harmful? Or do you go with the distiller and add the minerals as needed?
Everything they need is in the salt mix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts