Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, my 2-headed (with a few babies) frogspawn is growing too big for my BC14 ... I was thinking of cutting off one of the heads (maybe bringing it to the swap??) ... Problem is, I don't have a dremel ... any other ways to frag frogspawn?

Thanks! (Note: "how to" pics seem like a very good idea ...)

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
I dont have pics, but I've fragged frogspawn a ton of times.

I've used a dremel, carefully used a wetsaw, but most frequently used side-cutters. Side cutters can be tricky with frogspawn b/c of how the skeleton breaks (or crushes in some cases). Cut it as far away from polyp as possible, preferably at the skeleton base. GL

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Johnos is supposed to take pictures and such on the next time he frags his for the PIF.

What I do is take my cutting shears, something similar to what you'd see in a tool box or for cutting bone, go down as far as you can from the head, usually an inch or more if possible, then cut there, should be clean and quick, and not much problem cutting at that point.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
wow you guys really get into this.. :D

this is what I do.. grab the colony.. lay it on a hard surface.. grab a flat head screw driver and a hammer softly tap the area you want to crack to score it and then give it a bit harder tap over the score.. and then again and whalla.. you have a frag..

you want to break the structure atleast a few inches before the head.. wher the branch begins is the best and easyiest spot normaly..
they are a very easy coral to frag honestly..

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
If the heads split at a Y you can use a metal cutting hand saw if you want a clean cut, without the risk of breaking it and killing the coral. It's more time consuming.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are all great ideas. Thanks. Yes it does split in a "Y" ... I may try the hand saw ... I am hesitant about using cutting shears (will metal cutting shears work?) becuase I don't want to crush the skeleton and damage the coral ...

Johnos, make sure you take pics when you frag! ;-)

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Any type of shear could crush the coral... I will make sure to take pics. I'm about to start taking pics for my sump/refugium "how to"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts