Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can only put "soft" corals in my 125 gallon. Pretty new so can you guys help out?

Well established tank but the lighting I have will only allow me to put "soft" corals in.

Wondering if you all could guide me to some really cool but hearty "soft" corals to start out with?

Looking for most bang for the buck as I have a lot of space to fill.

Thanks in advance!

JT

·
Registered
316 Posts
The best advice I can give you is look at what people and store (local or online) have to offer. Read up on the ones you like to see what they need to survive. Try not to make the mistake that I made and buy what looks good and kill it because you don't know enough about it. Make sure your params are good no matter what though. Get to know the corals you like for how they feed, what water flow they like, how much light do they need, etc etc etc. Attached is a website that I saw on another thread and have been reading and I think it is good advice.
Good luck and let us know what you decided.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-06/rs/index.php

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I suggest you buy from people who have comparable or less lighting than you do. Most LPS (stoney) corals need less light than leather (soft) corals as they are far more capable of catching supplimented food than the leathers. Zoos and star polyps are always hit and miss for lighting anyway. My best advice would be try frags from corals that have been successful in lower lighting. A small frag or two of something prolific is much less of an oops than a nice piece of coral.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I second Jerrod's question...if you could provide a little more info on your tank and it's equipment, you might just be able to get more variety into your tabk than you think you could!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I agree, especially since everybody has a different idea about what "low light", "medium light", and "high light" is. Also be aware that not all stony corals are "high light" and soft corals "low light".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry- just got home from snowmobiling.

I have a Jebo 55w Power Compact lighting system with 4 newer 55w bulbs (2 Actinic blue and 2 10,000K).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
547 Posts
so you have 4 55 watt bulbs over it?

I keep some nice LPS in a 8 gallon tank with 36 watts of light. Some leathers, most all zoas, mushrooms, and other types of polyps will work....

Maye start off with some mushrooms and a kenya tree coral to see how it goes

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know a lot of people don't like xenia, but I have some pom pom xenia and absolutely love it! It looks really pretty pulsing and swaying in the current. They are hardy and easy to take care of IMO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts