Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i am new to this site but not the hobbie!!

i sold of everything i had so that i could start a big tank project! but now
i need help.
i am going very large home made tank this much im sure of
i have already started the stand and walls for the tank but im not sure i like the size it is 13 feet wide 5 feet deep and 2.5 or 3 feet tall, so yeah this is a big tank but my wife sayed it might look better in a different location.
and in the location she thinks would look good would be 26 feet long 2 1/2 feet deep and 2.5 or 3 feet tall also very big but omg i cant make up my mind!!!! what would look better 26 feet of viewing but only 2.5 feet deep or do i go with the all around large 1??

dont laugh at me please this is killing me not having a tank setup i need to make up my mind 1 way or a nother tonight

thanks tom

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
hmm... I like cube tanks, but I think for this I would do 13ft long, 3ft deep, 3ft tall. I think the 5ft wide would make it too hard to access anything inside the tank that may have issues. but, that's my opinion.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Unless you have really long arms i would only go 30" tall. Can be a pain to get down to the bottom of a 36" tank, unless you want to dip your face in

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hmm

Sounds like you wanna compete with the Toledo zoo here. I'm guessing money is'nt a problem nor 500 gallon water changes. Go with the biggy, and make a new thread with pictures so we can all follow your progress.:D

·
Registered
364 Posts
If it is accessible by both sides go 5ft wide. If it is "in-wall" or you can not get to the back of it, then go with the 3ft one. 5ft is too much anyway. You would need at least 2 halides or a 4ft t5 to cover the area front to back. Thats a lot of lights on a 13 or 26' tank.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jeffrey750 said:
Sounds like you wanna compete with the Toledo zoo here. I'm guessing money is'nt a problem nor 500 gallon water changes. Go with the biggy, and make a new thread with pictures so we can all follow your progress.:D
i will for sure take pics along the way

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vivaborg said:
Unless you have really long arms i would only go 30" tall. Can be a pain to get down to the bottom of a 36" tank, unless you want to dip your face in
dip my face lol i plan in diving in it

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Re: DIY tank

I like the elongated tanks better than taller tanks, myself. I think longer tanks make everything look more natural.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Where you gonna get glass for a tank that big? 22' is the longest you can safely get glass in a single pane unless other wise specially made for the specific purpose and it would have to have a slight convex curve to it so it wouldn't come busting out or have some major support. Either way just the glass or acrylic alone is going to cost a bundle.....But that would be a sweet tank none the less.....I would go with 13x5x2.5......The 5 foot front to back would pose some issues but might very well be worth it for the depth.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I would definately go at least 3 feet deep (I would probably do 4 feet myself). Large tanks like this look out of proportion when shallow. The extra height also provides more height for certain animals to grow that need it ( tangs, angels, batfish, large staghorns, etc). I also prefer the 13' x 5' footprint. You can either snorkel to do maintenance or get a hookah system to breath compressed air. Alot of tasks can be done without getting in the tank with the right tools.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts