Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was working on my tank today, I just got my 2 MP60's. I ran up to the store for some parts to hang my new lights. My daughter (23yr old) thought she would help me by putting my pumps MP60's in. I had the wet side and dry side together because I was playing with them earlier. when I got home my jaw hit the ground when I seen my MP60 both wet and dry side in the tank and my Daughter asking me how does this thing attach to the side of the tank? I didn't even know what to do, I was in shock...$800 dollar pump gone! Got to love out kids and them wanting to help...lol

My wife came down stairs and seen what happened and just looked at her and said, "Honey Dad likes you to help him, but I think you need to go home now." LOL

I ordered a dry side for another $420.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I would take them apart and soak them in RO and let them dry out. I think they will be fine. There is no electronics in the dryside, just coils of wires. I will do it for you, if you want, or I will by them off you.

You could have shorted out the contoller if they were on when she put them in the water. I have collected many nonworking vortects over the years and got them working. I have six right now and use three in my tank right now.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I would take them apart and soak them in RO and let them dry out. I think they will be fine. There is no electronics in the dryside, just coils of wires. I will do it for you, if you want, or I will by them off you.

You could have shorted out the contoller if they were on when she put them in the water. I have collected many nonworking vortects over the years and got them working. I have six right now and use three in my tank right now.
This could be possibe, they may still work. Though, I am at a lost for words and I would have to agree that your wife probably save your daughters life. Sorry to hear that, hopefully they will still work once thoroughly cleaned and dried out.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

How do you take the dry side apart? it's totally enclosed. It wasn't plugged in at the time. I did put it in fresh water I thought of that too as a hail marry then dried it with a hair dryer. plugged it in and it worked. then later it didn't it just feel like it wants to move it like pulses the turns off because it's stuck.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
To dry it you should but in in the oven @100 F for about 15 min. Never plug in an electronic until youre certain it is 100 % dry. Once it shorts. No more electronic. I do this alot with elecrtinic as i have a habbit of washing my phone amoung otherthings. Also a bowl of dry rice overnight works too.

Sent from my Samsung Smartphone using Tapatalk. When I should be doing something more productive.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
To dry it you should but in in the oven @100 F for about 15 min. Never plug in an electronic until youre certain it is 100 % dry. Once it shorts. No more electronic. I do this alot with elecrtinic as i have a habbit of washing my phone amoung otherthings. Also a bowl of dry rice overnight works too.

Sent from my Samsung Smartphone using Tapatalk. When I should be doing something more productive.
+1 to the dry rice. Works wonders on wet cell phones. Then a blow dryer for a couples hours off and on if you are unsure if it is dry. Never tried the over trick, but I would think that would work considering a 100 degrees isn't much hotter than what we would see on an exceptionally hot day.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the new dry side came today and MP60 is on the tank the right way doing its thing :)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did the old one ever start working?
no, unlike the MP40's the MP60's are sealed with glue with a tongue and groove like joint. so I'm going to take it to work and hit it with a heat gun and see if I can't get her opened. Ecotech sells new bearing for it they say, if you were to open it...lol

The motor is seized, must not have rinsed it as well as I thought.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Good that the new dry sides arrive and all is up and running. Best of luck with the other dry sides and getting them up and running.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts