Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at my tank iive noticed that there is alot of algae and gunk building up on the bottom. i have 5 snails and 2 peppermint shrimp. im thinking of getting a sand shifting start fish but i dunno. i have a 20 gl so nothing to huge!! thanks

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I'm not really a fan of sand shifting starfish as they will eat all of the benifical bacteria out of your sandbed. I would look into nassarius snails or a sand shifting goby to keep your sandbed stirred.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how olds your tank, you say experience is 0-3 mths. If this is correct you tank might still be cycling and the algae is normal. It will go away. I would recommend some hermit crabs and some nassarius snails. Id stay away from a sand sifting starfish, from what ive been told they eat way too much good stuff in the sand and if the tank isn't big enough to support them they will most likely slowly die.

Here are some pictures from when my tank was still cycling.

MY sand is now for the most part real nice and white.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I would get some BLUE legged hermits. or some Scarlet hermits.

I do not suggest Zebra Hermits. I started with 12 Blue legs, 6 Scarlet, 2 Baha Red, and 3 Zebras... ended up with 2 Zebra, and 3 Blue legs...

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
star shifter is a bad idea

in your size of tank and a bad idea even in my 200 gallon I tried a couple here is the words from Ron Shimek

Sand-Sifting Stars:

Astropecten species, (2, 3),
Luidia species

Species from these two genera are similar in shape and are typically dull in color: brown, grey, off-white or black. Along the edges of each ray are large shield-like plates; the plates and their spines are typically much larger in Astropecten species than in Luidia species, resulting in an "armored" appearance to the sides of the arms. Spines on these plates tend to give the sides of the arms a "spiny" appearance. The spinal length, however, may vary significantly from species to species, and in a few species they are only a few millimeters long. Individuals of Luidia species often have limper, more flexible, arms than do Astropecten individuals. Although most of these stars have five rays, Luidia species may have more. They vary a lot in size; Luidia superba, reaching diameters of 1.1 m, is one of the largest sea stars, but most species in this group are smaller, reaching maximum sizes of less than 30 cm. All of these stars tend to exhibit similar behavior. They move across the surface of sediments until they find an area that seems promising, after which they burrow down into the sediment, often rather deeply. While burrowing, any potential food items, and that may be effectively ALL animals, that they can catch are transported to the mouth, ingested and digested. When they are through cleaning the specific area of food, the stars surface to move to a new spot. They will generally not scavenge excess food remaining on the surface, needing instead to collect from below the sediment's surface. These stars need a significant variety of food for good health, and require a lot of food. The amount of animals in a rich sand fauna of a few square meters will support a 10 cm diameter star for no more than few months. Putting one of these animals into a tank with less than several square meters of sediment surface is condemning it to a slow death by starvation.

here is the whole article almost any starfish would be a bad choice for a 20 gallon I only know one that would be ok maybe a Red Sea Star or Fromia milleporella
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rs/index.php

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah my tank is done cycling i believe i have alot of copopods ( if thats howu spell in). my sand was really brwn like that but its starting to get nice and white again

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
can I suggest

Charlesr1958 said:
I put this together in the hopes it will help others decide upon the correct species to use / add to a reef aquarium.

Reef Aquarium Clean up Crew

Hope it is of some help

Chuck
that we have a permanent link or sticky to this page along with some of Charles other pages. :D thanks Charles for taking the time very simple and very good info. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts