Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-confused I had a scratch on the outside. I tried to remove it with the kit but now I have a "blurry,cloudy" patch where the scratch was???

Any idea how to clear that back up? I am afraid to sand anymore and cloud it up further or do I need to??

Thanks all- Great Forum!

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
did you make it to the highest grit level? You may need to get some Novus polsih in order to get things polished out even more..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did go the highest but started to freak a bit towards the end when the blur wouldn't go away. now I have the "blur" that I can't rub out...I did use the polish that came with the kit. Should I start over again or should I get some "Novus" and use that?

Where can I get it and is there a specific one I should get?

Thanks so much

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
you will need all three probaly novus 1, 2 and 3. 2 and 3 are the ones that will get the haZe out.. i dont know who sells it locally... i got mine from ebay. a local acrylic shop will have it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
As a side note, in the past I have found novus 1, 2, and 3 at places that sell Harleys. Harley owners like to use the stuff for there windshields.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have friends who install custom stereos in cars and they use heat guns and propane torches to polish any and all cut and bent plexi. If you consider trying it it is very cheap but requires a special skill. Practice on something other than your tank but just a haze on the glass will come off in a split second with a torch......

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Novus will certainly help, but proper use of the scratch kit shouldn't have created the blur. The most common mistake we've encountered using the kits is not spending enough time with each grit before moving to the next, and then also not widening the area with each grit. I remember the first time I used one of these I made one of our store displays at the old place look quite a bit worse, but rereading the directions and trying again, you couldn't even tell there was ever a scratch in the first place. This was about a 12" long reasonable deep scratch, but the area we ended up buffing by hand with the kit ended up being closer to 15"x6" or so.

Certainly trying the Novus can't hurt, that's really great stuff, but if you still get the blur, it may be time to suffer more with the monotonous task of the scratch removal kit.

Best of luck.

Steve

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I agree, liquid abrassives like novus will likely not get out the haze (lots of fine scratches). The really high grit abrassives (3200 and higher) are intended to pollish rather than remove scratches. You probably need to spend more time with the various grit sizes. I also agree that you want to spread out the scratch area and apply even light pressure (in most cases). This will help prevent distortion with the coarser grits. Taking out scratches in acryllic is not all that easy like it is often made out to be. If not done properly the end result can look quite worse than the original scratch.

·
Registered
480 Posts
buffing

I recently did the entire inside of my tank. The first time I did it I did not read the directions correctly and did not move the acrylic scratch pad in one direction only. The first and largest grit you use should be used in a either horizontal plan or vertical plane only. The next one should go in the exact opposite direction. Each additional step should be opposite of the last. Circular motions will cause a blur. The tank always looks worse before better and you need to really take your time. The recommendations on my kit are six minutes per square foot per grit. It took me days to finish the tank but it looks great now!
Marie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts