Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 gallon reef with corals and about 90# LR. I have a reef octopus and it pulls some skimmate but I can tell that my bio-load isn't even close to being maxed out on my skimmer. I would like to get all of these fish being that I would only have 2 larger fish in the system while the rest would be fairly small at full size. A lot of caves and a lot of swimming room along the whole front of the tank and some big passages for some larger fish. I have a list of what I have and a list of what I want. The wanted list is in order of what I want the most down to what I want the least.

Current Stock
2 - true percula clown
1 - yellowtail damsel
1 - yellow watchman
1 - green mandarin
1 - serpent starfish
1 - redtail firefish

Future additions
1 - Foxface Rabbitfish
1 - Kole Yellow Eye Tang or Bristle Tooth Tang
2 - pajama cardinals
1 - Sixline Wrasse

·
Registered
796 Posts
If you keep your current stock; I'd only add the tang, or foxface, or the cardinals and wrasse. If you can get the damsel out; I'd add the tang+cardinals or wrasee, or foxface+cardinals or wrasse.

·
Registered
796 Posts
They're just an aggressive fish, usually sold as a starter fish to cycle a tank (unfortunately), they are almost looked at like a pest to people that have been in the hobby a while. The cardinals may not even be able to be added with it, your other options can hold their own.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK.....now with the tang or the foxface is my tank just simply not big enough to house both ? Also I don't know if it makes much of a difference but my damsel is totally cool with my other fish....he actually swims with my one clown alot....if I didn't know any better I would think they were mated...lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok cool now I just need someone to take the damsel......I think I will get the foxface then when I find another home or another tank for the damsel i will get the pajamas or the six line....thanks for your help chad

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
The Yellow Damsel is a nast fish! If you want to add the cardinals and or the wrasse, get the damsel out first. It is already established and once you add new fish it will pick on them and tear there fins up, chase them into every nook and cranny there is. If this does not happen. I would be extremely shocked. I have had many of the damsels and the Yellow damsel was by far the most aggressive damsel and fish I have had. Anything added after it hardly stood a chance if it wasnt 4x its size and even them it would harras the fish. The bigger it got, the more aggressive it got.

Anyway, I to would think you could add the tang, cardinals and warsse if done over time, I would add the wrassse first out of any of them, the tang last. I would skip the foxface as the One Spot is the only one that is recommended for less that 100 gallons at around 70 minimum. They are cool fish and I plan to get one again someday, but need to be kept well fed and give ample space to swim both in the open and caves to hide in. The tang would be better suited for your current line up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was looking at a foxface lo or one spot and they are both recommended at 70gallons.....i dont want to get it if i really shouldnt. I read on live aquaria that 70 gallons is ok for the one spot or the lo....

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I was looking at a foxface lo or one spot and they are both recommended at 70gallons.....i dont want to get it if i really shouldnt. I read on live aquaria that 70 gallons is ok for the one spot or the lo....
If you stick with the One Spot, not sure what the lo is but if it is similar size you should be good. Like I said, they can be great fish to watch and will constantly eat both what you feed them and grave off the LR. Possibly corals but, hopefully not if kept well fed. Again If you plan to get any of the other fish, I would personally get a beautful wrasse first Foxface last, and call it quites after that. Nix the cardinals. but, that is your choice and do it over the course of several weeks to give the wrasse a chance to adjust, they can be quite skittish for a bit. See how your system handles the new additions and go from there.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I have many more fish in my 90. My suggestion is that if you want to stock your tank heavily. Add fish slowly, one at a time and wait, watch the behavior of the fish, and your water chemistry closely so you know when to stop. I have both a tang and a one spot. They are both awesome so i understand thats its a hard decision, but it may not be impossible to have both. Also i have many things to handle the bioload. I run biopellets, gfo, and carbon in their own reactors. I use a wet skimmer rated for 200 gal. And i have macro algae in the sump. Im not saying youre going to need all of this to keep your bioload under control, but you may have to add something, and adding all this may not allow you to add everything because ultimately we are still limited by space alone.
I am a beginner but i do my research. And research shows patience is key. You'll know when to stop. And add your tang last, they do get cranky when you add a fish to their tank.lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.