Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using the "reef safe" Kick-Ich. It seems like it's doing the trick, but it says to treat for only 15 days.

I thought that ick had a 30 or 36 day (not sure) life cyle.

If it is that long (can someone tell me the correct number of days?), shouldn't I continue the Kick-Ich treatment for the entire time?

Also, Does anyone use anything else that is reef safe? I haven't found anything.

Thank you!-confused

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I am able to, I do put the fish in a QT, but most of the time thats not possible. I have alot of rock and coral and I'd have to take it all out to catch the fish.

I've had fairely good luck with kick-ick before, but I stopped at 15 days. Then other fish would get it soon after. I just thought I was not treating the tank long enough.

Thanks everyone for your input.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just remember the white spots on the fish is just one of the cycles, the Ich hasn't been eliminated. Kick Ich will claim that it works, but it doesn't kill the parasite. It's just an allusion that Kick Ich is working because of the cycle the parasite goes through. The tank will need to be free of fish so the parasite can die of in your tank.

·
Registered
26 Posts
From what I have read and researched, there are only two proven ways to completely eliminate ich, one is doing hypo, and the other is to use copper, and both require using a qt tank. There aren't any "medications" that actually remove ich completely, that is why it eventually comes back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I always freshwater dipped my fish before putting them in my display tank. If you have ich in your tank you must remove the fish and treat with Copper and or Hypo all the fish in a quarantine tank. If you leave any fish in your display tank you will never get rid of the ich completely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts