Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, can I rack your brains for a second? I seem to have VERY icky water, and I'm not sure why. I've got a 50 gal tank with a bunch of corals, 4 clowns, a lawnmower blenny, 3 peppermint shrimp, a sand scooter (I think thats the name of it) a diamond goby, a couple of snails and a couple of crabs. I just did a 20% water change, my parameters are all good. I ordered some snails... but I haven't got them yet. Anyone know what my problem is? Here are some pics...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm assuming you dont have a skimmer? That will get all that off of the top. Judging by the sand picture a good clean-up crew wont hurt either. I'm sure the skimmer is the number one problem.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bagdime said:
I'm assuming you dont have a skimmer? That will get all that off of the top. Judging by the sand picture a good clean-up crew wont hurt either. I'm sure the skimmer is the number one problem.
Yeah, the snails are supposed to be coming soon, i hope. I knew that was part of the problem.

I also have a bak pack cpr with bioballs... isn't that a skilter?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Come to think of it, it seemed to have started once i put the bioballs in there... but i thought i needed media in there? Because I haven't had anything in there since I started the tank, and only a couple weeks ago i put them in there and now i've got the film on the top

·
Registered
190 Posts
aquanewbie said:
Come to think of it, it seemed to have started once i put the bioballs in there... but i thought i needed media in there? Because I haven't had anything in there since I started the tank, and only a couple weeks ago i put them in there and now i've got the film on the top
I dont think skimmers require media, I dont run it in mine. The skimmer just creates bubbles in the chambers that will pop and dispose of the contaminates. Im still pretty new with the skimmer topic though so Im sure someone else can help me with this.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bagdime said:
I dont think skimmers require media, I dont run it in mine. The skimmer just creates bubbles in the chambers that will pop and dispose of the contaminates. Im still pretty new with the skimmer topic though so Im sure someone else can help me with this.
I'll try to find a pic of what i've, actually, I bought it off of here, so I know i've got a pic somewhere lol

Thanks for your help though!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bagdime said:
I'll try to find a pic of what i've, actually, I bought it off of here, so I know i've got a pic somewhere lol

Here's the link of what I got, I've got the CPR BAK PAC R
http://michiganreefers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53991

Thanks for your help though!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
You need to move the surface water. Have one of your powerheads hit the surface or drain the water from the surface (best) to your filter.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Protein Skimming

One of the very best means of nutrient control and export for captive marine systems is the continuous use of a protein skimmer. It is arguably the best means of removing organic substances from the aquarium water. An efficient, well-maintained skimmer can reduce the amount of organics present in the water before they break down and begin to accumulate. There is little argument among aquarists as to the effectiveness of protein skimming for removing these compounds. However, there are many different opinions as to which type of skimmer, and which model, is the “best.” The review and comparison of the relative merits of different skimmer designs is beyond the scope of this brief article; suffice to say that the inclusion of a protein skimmer in the marine system is, for most of us, and absolute necessity, and a key contributor to the maintenance of a successful aquarium!

Of critical importance when using a skimmer is its placement within the system. A skimmer should be placed at a location within the system where it will receive “raw,” unfiltered water, ideally from the surface of the aquarium. This water has the highest concentration of organic materials and other substances that should be removed from the system. The skimming should ideally take place before any other filtration occurs, with the possible exception of gross particulate removal. This will ensure that the skimmer is receiving the largest amount of organics to work with.

A skimmer should be adjusted so that it produces at least one to two cups of dark, yucky smelling stuff per week. Stable, “dry” foam within the neck and collection cup of the skimmer is a sure sign that you’ve found the “sweet spot” within your skimmer’s operating parameters. One thing that is a “constant” with protein skimmer use is the necessity for frequent maintenance of the skimmer itself. The sludge that accumulates within the neck and collection cup of your skimmer actually inhibits the production of desired foam after several days, so for optimum performance, a skimmer should be cleaned at least once, possibly even twice, per week. At the same time, inspect and/or clean venturis, injectors, and airstones which may be present in your skimmer. You’ll be surprised at the increased efficiency that will result from regular skimmer maintenance! A well-maintained, properly set-up protein skimmer may be the best single contributor towards optimal water quality and nutrient control in a closed marine system.

I had a 29 gallon tank with the exact same problem. I bought a backpack skimmer for my 29 gallon too. From my findings, the backpack skimmer did nothing. If I was you I would get a coral life protein skimmer, you will see less of the nutrients on the top of your tank. Another thing is, I'm guessing you don't have a sump or refugium?

From having all that oily water, less oxygen is getting to your tank too.

Also, what slapshot said would help a ton too

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do get the yucky foam that bubbles up on the collection cup, I just don't think its working to its potential. So I went to the LFS to look at the power heads and stuff, because i defintely need another one. The one I've got is crappy. He also stated that I should get some carbon to put into the cpr. So I picked some up, but before i use it, i just want to know if this is good? I know some places like to talk ya into anything, but this guy seemed to know what he was talking about. Also he said it would make my water clear, and not yellowish, like it is. Please advise. Thanks!

Oh, and no, I don't have sump or a fuge

G

·
Yes run carbon...Make sure you change it out quite often as it is gonna be sucking up a bunch of crap...Carbon will leech it back into the water when full...You could use a couple of power heads for sure...your turnover is only about 20 times an hour...All that crud on the surface will limit the amount of light too...When you do a water change put a hose on a powerhead & suck the top layer of water til its gone...

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How do you know when it is full?

Also, I just bought a big bottle of it, and a 3x8 bag to put it in, how much do I need for it?

G

·
aquanewbie I wouldn't put the carbon in your skimmer it isn't made to take that kind of media the air bubbles are the media for a skimmer instead put the carbon in a filter sock and hang them in the water in a high flow area

also are you runing a sump on this tank I think the thing they are talking about with skimmers in the begining are surface skimmers wich you would get with an over flow that would go down to a sump fuge to remove the surface slime and you do need one of these or a powerhead shooting at the surface to breake it up and keep that film from forming there so that your skimmer can skim it out

also your cpr skimmer is a little small for your large bioload with all those fish you mentioned I would recomend looking into a larger skimmer for your tank that can deal with the load more eficently and if you are runing a sump then get one that is good for at least 100g a cpr is only good for 50g that is lightly stocked

as for the carbon and bag just fill the bag and then take it to your sink and rince realy well get the black dust out

G

·
one more thing is that yellow color in your water is cause by two things I can see in your pics one is the bio slime on the surface of the water you show with it on your hand and the second is a thin layer of algay on the glass use that mag float you have LOL

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol, i got the glass part handled, but thanks for watching out lmao. its just the slimey stuff on top of the water.

The only high flow area that I've got is a power head... hmm.. Could I put it in with the bioballs?

G

·
well the reason I dont recomend it is carbon can cause your skimmer to back up and over flow due to getting plugged with both air bubbles and detrius that got missed

you can simply hang the carbon in the corner of the tank it will still work just more efiecently if it is higher flow

as for the surface of the water you need to get a surface skimmer going or even a small powerhead right at the surface pushing the jet across the top to agitate it a bit

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, i'll try to put it hm. near the power head but not directly in front of it... I moved the power head so it will also hit the top of the water. so would i put the other one facing more towards the sand then?

G

·
ok how many power heads do you have and what sizes also what size is your tank

I have a little aquaclear 70 ph right at the surface to adgitate the surface a bit and two larger seio down at the bottom in my 75g tank but dont aim directly at the sand unless you want a sand storm

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
my buddy had the same problem in his 20l so he bought a cheap power head and aimed it at the surface. that did the trick.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts