Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
it is a kind of macro algae, jelly/water filled hammer shaped arms. Some like it others take a toothbrush and scrape it off. Personally I think it looks cool, but doesn't grow well in my tank.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm hopeing this is what they call Red Dragon macro algae, this hitchhiked in some how on some coral in one of my systems too and been trying different ways to eliminate it. Be following closely to see the input on this.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I have done a lot of research into different macro algae as I want to set up my Peacock Mantis Tank with minimal LR and lots of various macro algae. I am not 100% that what I have is Rose Petal Macro, but it looks very similar to what I have growing in my tank currently. This particular macro started on two different rocks with just a couple of leafs so to speak and a couple months later a piece of LR larger than a bowling ball was half way covered in it. My yellow tang will not eat it.
On the other had. I have another Red Macro algae that looks quite similar but, is darker red and doesn't grow as large and my tank loves that. This one also, does not appear to grow as fast and generally likes lower light that the other which seems to prefer high light as it is growth directly under both my MH bulbs. I have not been able to get a positive ID on either at this time. Lights are already out, or I would upload a pic of one, the other is just stubs on the LR that are not ID able as my tank loves it. This is quite similar to the one my tang loves and is refered to as Red Turf Alage, the pic is about a third the way down the page.
Beyond the Refugium: A Macroalgae Primer by Sarah Lardizabal - Reefkeeping.com

The Dragons Breath Macro is what soverjas posted and my tang loves that as well. I think the technical term for this macro would be Red Gracilaria.
Frag Outpost - Coral Frags, Coral Frag Trading and Coral Propagation Resources

Though, I have seen another type of Red Macro with this same name and am not sure which is the true ID. Below is a link to Reefcleaners.org with a video of this maco
ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Dragon's Breath algae. - Support Forum

·
Registered
563 Posts
Your pic looks like the same thing I have in my system and if it is keep a careful watch on it because it's suffercating out corals of mine and I've been ripping out as much as I can. Nothing I've treated it with seems to kill it, and not even sure ripping at it going to get rid of it, just another step in the process to get rid of it.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
jHere the Red Dragon macroalgae I come up with and it really don't look like your dragon breath.
I'm not sure. The image soverjas posted is one of a few I have and was purchased as Dragons Breath. But, as I mentioned above, I have now seen three different images of what is said to be Dragons Breath. So who knows, all i know, is my Yellow tang loves it and that is good enough for me. The other one, I have pulled out two large pieces of LR and brushed as much of it as I can off. I left of in the tank with it on it. I think I see the tang picking at that rock today but, that is also the same rock that has what looks to be Red Turf Algae on it. I also purchased some Red Macro from Tropicorium the other day that looks like flames when all bunched together. But my tang won't touch it and I was told that it can be very invasive. It is currently in my sump and my mantis seems to be taking a likely to it and has pulled some of it into the entrance of his den...lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts