Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,

Due to a few factors including the local school district, Stacey (the wife) and I have decided to pack up and move. We will actually be moving into a townhouse/condo in Swartz Creek, the weird part is it is the EXACT same townhouse we lived in as newly weds! I have plenty of room for the current tank, and I will be able to set up the basement sump as well, that is the good news.... The bad news is we will be moving the week of Feb 4th (I think) and it will be cold I am sure.

Anyway, I am going to buy a new Rubbermaid sump and try and set it up ahead of time at the new place. (I think I will have access to it sometime after the 15th.) What I am hoping for is a couple of fellow Michigan Reefers that can help me transport and acclimate my corals and fish to the new place on the yet to be determined moving day. I am sure I will need buckets, and extra hands!

Here is my plan:

1)Set up 100 gallon sump with RO water and add salt to 1.025 at 78-80 degrees prior to moving day.

2)Moving Day! I want to move all corals and livestock via buckets and trash cans to the new sump, acclimate the livestock to the sump.

3)Move tank and as much water as I can to the new location.

4)Set up tank to preserve the DSB.

5)Day after the move- Work on plumbing the old water that is in the tank to the new sump that is in the basement. Once this is complete, I will let it run overnight, or a couple of days, before I move the livestock back to the tank.

Phew.... Okay, does this sound like a good plan? Please feel free to critique my moving plan, and if you are will to lend a hand, and some buckets, please let me know!

Thanks!
-Mike

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Are you planning on moving a tank full sand? If so, probably not a good idea, the weight might ruin the tank, just an thought.

Good luck with the move and I would help, but since I can't lift over a gallon of milk, I wouldn't be much use.

Dan

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the offers guys! Dan, I am going to take about 1/2 the sand out (about 100 pounds) and try and leave the bottom half in... I know that will make the tank heavy, but I want to try and keep what I have.

I have wanted to try the grey coast sand though.... This would be the ideal time to do that instead huh?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Mike, let me know when and if i'm not working I will be more than happy to help.Got lots of buckets as well. :) I would not have been able to do my move if it wasn't for Brents help, and that was just upstairs.

·
Registered
472 Posts
LMK also, If I'm not workin' I can give you guys a hand also.....breakin down that tanks gonna suck:(

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I also have a 50 breeder that is drilled and sitting in my living room. You can use that in the basement for rock and coral storage until the display is all plumbed in... Just add a return line, a couple powerheads and your all set!

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you need some give me a holler. I have an envoy we can put the back seats and gives plenty of room and be happy to help out.

G

·
hey mike I would be willing to help you and if you have containers or large barels we can even use my truck to help transport the water as it is a hd truck and can haul more weight that I can imagine not to mention pull a tlr or somthing if needed

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! This is great! Thanks for all the offers, once I get details on dates and times I will surely get in touch.

GBSteve has volunteered a rubbermaid for my temporary sump, so I am good there.

I am getting excited about the move, I need to make a list of the various things I will need. Lumber, PVC, etc... Good thing it is tax time!

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
hey mike you need a hand you let me know. I will be there... I have a few extra 100 gallon rubbermaids too.. if needed to help move things or whatever... sounds like you have the moving plan all thought out though...

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
It's do able trust me. We have moved several times in the past few year's and it went pretty good. We moved into this house in March of last year. We've moved 135 and 90 gallon tanks. All you need is buckets and alot of them. I think we bought about 35 bucket's when we moved. Here's a tip. Go to Home depot. You can buy the bucket's and then return them when your done. Just don't break the seals on the lid's. We did that and trust me it saved ALOT of money. We still have about half o the bucket's we bought but we did take back some. We knew we'd need them again someday and we did.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hope so Jarrod, does that sound reasonable to you? The more I look at it, the more I like the idea, but I am certainly open to suggestions.

I know the last time I moved, I did NOT do a good job...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Mike - I'm limited on lifting as well but if I'm not working I'll give you a hand, also one thing that really helped when I moved was the Gladware containers for the little stuff and the more fragile pieces, poke holes in them to allow for flow (My Moms favorite tool is an Ice pick heated up on the stove - great for holes) That way you can stack them and nothing gets broken and the inverts dont get crushed.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the idea Red! I have about 6-8 buckets now.... Another 10-20 wouldn't hurt! I am hoping to get some on loan from fellow reefers, instead of taking them back though.

It looks like I am in good hands so far! :eek:

I really appreciate all the offers for help, it means a lot to me! I sure don't wnat to lose anything this time around, that milli pictured above almost broke my heart.... and it was just a brown w/ green tips.... if I lost my red/white/blue milli now.... ugh!

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great Idea Tracey! That would work great for some of my smaller pieces, like the purple unknown, and the Garf Bonsai....

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Mike, ditch the sand and start over, the one time i tried that cost me a lot of fish, start with a new sand bed;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Let me know if there is anything I can do. We also have a truck and I don't work so I am usually available I just have to be around to get my kids from school. ~ Christa

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
I'll be out of town, but let me know if you could use some styro's to keep things warm during the move... I have a few you can borrow.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think that is sound advice Ken, I was actually looking at Gray Coast "sand" from seachem on PetsMart.com 16.99/bag, FREE shipping. I would need at least TEN bags though....

Then I would also need to order some new sandbed critters, unless I did a SSB, with a RDSB instead.... Hmm....

1 - 20 of 70 Posts