Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh My Goodness... you think 15 years experience would help you understand the little things, but NOPE! I am still such a newbie sometimes.

I bought a cool wave maker from Dave (Thanks Dave!) And installed it when it came in. It had some calcium buildup on the impeller which was locking it up and making it scream at me (If you know tunze, you know what I mean) so I took it apart and cleaned it up and put it back in my tank. Its working great, but it wasn't performing like I had read. I have been dialing the stupid thing in for about a week now, and couldn't get more than an inch wave on a 75g tank :( I bought the stupid thing for my 560g (I hope to have 2) but if It can't make a 1 inch wave on a 75g, what are two going to do... really!

As I'm sitting there this morning, looking at my tank as I usually do, I happen to notice, the name on the wave maker is upside down??? As my first cup of coffee sits in, :eek:rder it hits me!!! I installed it upside down!!! I'm such an idiot, I got all flustered from the impeller alarm, I didn't even pay attention to how I installed it!

So I flipped the stupid thing upright, and put it to the wave marks (where the water level should be) and started her back up. Immediately 3 inch waves peaking over the plastic rim and almost out of the tank! Wow what a difference, this thing is going to be awesome in my big tank.

It just goes to show, pride cometh before the fall, and boy did I fall. I had to publicly scorn myself in hopes to remember not to become to proud, and think I know it all.

Sometimes the smallest stupidest things make the biggest difference!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Dan, Derek Here... Dave is the guy I bought the wave maker from. I'm sure he has some beautiful stuff he could sell you, but if you want some stuff from me, I definitely have stuff to offer :) With all these D names, who can keep them straight :no:

Shoot me a pm, and we'll set something up. And thanks for reminding me I'm human, I don't know if the name mix up was intentional, but it sure made me grin :victory:

·
Registered
725 Posts
That's funny and I'm surprised you didn't see you sand moved all around from the "underwater wave" my mp40's pull my sand towards them and I have to small mountains on the bottom right now.

And It's funny with all the years of experience and observation time we have with our tanks I will probably learn some new today even, and I have been in the saltwater hobby like you for the last 15 years.

Like here's something just yesterday I was checking my mag and I've noticed it's been declining over the last few weeks and I wasn't sure why because usually it stays pretty stable with just regular decent size water changes and come to find out kalkwasser use lowers it and sure enough I've been using kalk in my ato a lot more.

So lol it's my fault my mags low and I should have known I would think...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's actually nice to learn new things, It's what initially got me interested. I love learning (about things that interest me) and there has always been so much to learn about reef ecology.

I actually think the undertow is stronger now that the box is upright. As soon as I turned it around, I saw the sweeping that everyone raved about. This thing ***** the detritus into it and spits it back out. It took a little while to clear up (this tank had a ton of detritus on the sand etc) but it looks much better now. I just redesigned the tank yesterday to make it more appealing to myself. I had it setup as a softie dominant mixed reef, but with all the movement of the waves, it was a little obnoxious. That and most softies are dull colors and I hope to really make this thing pop! I am over due for new bulbs in the fixture (4x54w T5HO) and so I am going to upgrade the tank to LED. I can't wait.

Hopefully this tank will curb my cravings to setup the 560g... I am trying to pay off my debts so I can set it up just how I want it.

I will see if I can get a video of the new setup (with wave action) that is somewhat worthy of being published. Just keep in mind I just completely redid it :2911:

·
Registered
725 Posts
That reminds me when I had just one mp40 I wasn't super impressed but it was good and it did make a wave all by itself in my 180 but it had to be cranked up to 90% and than I got a second and O'boy did that make a difference I had a wave that would have been splashing out too if the top of my tank was sealed acrylic all around the top and the corals were about to get blasted of there spots on the rocks, I turned those way down to 60% and I still have one hard coral who thinks he's a softy and is rocking around anytime I use ntm mode

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL I'm finding some of my sps moving like softies... lol

Here is my video, I finally got it figured out...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Nice video Derek!

I'm sooo glad that thing started working for you, I used it all those years with no problems. I guess when I soaked it to clean it some of the Coraline broke free in the impeller area. I should have taken that apart too.

Boy, if you have called me up and told me that you got it to work and didn't have waves now.... after I told you it worked great and threw 1-2" waves in my 455.
I don't know what I would have said other than the wave maker is making a liar out of me....lol

Like I said, GLAD to see you're happy with it now and getting the enjoyment I had with it :)

Keep us all up-to-date with you 560 build.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey no worries Dave, they said it would take a while to get it dialed in (I read a lot of forums) and so I continuously tweaked it little by little... Then I noticed the upside down tunze and about slapped myself! It took me about 30 seconds to dial it in (the shortest setting is the best) and boom big waves. As you can see in the video, the water goes down about an inch under the plastic rim, and it almost spills out the sides. I would say thats about 3inches or so...

I may have to put a softie or two in there temporarily, you can't really see the movement without them.

I won't know for sure until I stop moving stuff around and making it all really made. But I think it's going to look really cool.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
That is some serious water movement. Looks great, you can see it if you watch the nem. Not ot mention the peaks on either side. Can't wait until I get a MP40. I was looking at the Tunze as well. Just really like the small foot print of the MP series.

·
Registered
725 Posts
+1 ^

I went with mp40's over tunze's just because the big ones are huge and I didn't like the way they would look in the tank but they sure work great and for last for years and cost less so a lot of plus's there but I sure like my mp40's and you barely even see the wetsides in the tank.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have to agree, The tunzes are a bit big, and can be a bit of an eye sore (especially the wave boxes) but the way I plan on setting up the tank, it shouldn't be a problem. The tank already has a black back ground, and it has overflows in each corner. With 3ft of depth, I think the boxes will get swallowed by the sheer size of the tank. Not to mention I am going to build the tank into the wall, with only about 2 of the 3ft sticking out of the wall. You wont even see the boxes when looking from the sides.

However, in my 75g, it sticks out like a sore thumb even when on the same side as the corner overflow. I just hope to make the coral and fish so attractive that you don't even notice the black box...

·
Registered
159 Posts
You must remain strong, my friend. If I can resist, then so can you. At least you have a 75 gallon...I settled for a 57! That wave maker you got is pretty cool though. I think Dave Ramsey would let this one slide. Ya know...the corals really do need wave action to survive. So it was a matter of life and death.
The tank looks pretty good. Did you change it around? It looks a lot more open.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SHhHhHhH.... Dont Tell Dave!!!

Although he would be proud of me, afterall I did get it used for 1/3 the price :) Well, at least I am proud of me :eek:rder I picked this one up early, so I figure y not use it right... :flood:

I can abstain from setting up the big one, and I can even fight off the urge to set up another one. But I can't resist great deals on awesome stuff. I'm just not that strong yet.

And like you said, it was a matter of life, or death :victory:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
SHhHhHhH.... Dont Tell Dave!!!

Although he would be proud of me, afterall I did get it used for 1/3 the price :) Well, at least I am proud of me :eek:rder I picked this one up early, so I figure y not use it right... :flood:

I can abstain from setting up the big one, and I can even fight off the urge to set up another one. But I can't resist great deals on awesome stuff. I'm just not that strong yet.

And like you said, it was a matter of life, or death :victory:
I didn't know I was adding to your delinquency of impulse buying...lol

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL I was actually saying don't tell Dave Ramsey, but yes... you are definitely enabling my habit!

Hello, My name is Derek, and I am a Reefholic... it has been 2 weeks since my last reef purchase, and I'm afraid I'm going to fall off the wagon... again :flood:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts