Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest a good cheap skimmer I think I need one bad. I have a Red Sea Berlin the venturi is shot on it. I'm now using an Odysea PS 160. it is pumping out a lot of junk but I have an algea problem. I have a 150g with a 29g sump. Not much of a bio load. I only have a clown, lawnmower blenny, scooter blenny, coral banded shrimp, starfish, and some snails. the tank looks empty. I have done quite a few water changes using R/O D/I water. But nothing seems to stop the growth. Not sure if the skimmer is the problem or what the cure is? any help would be great!!! John

·
Registered
200 Posts
Skimmer

Can anyone suggest a good cheap skimmer I think I need one bad. I have a Red Sea Berlin the venturi is shot on it. I'm now using an Odysea PS 160. it is pumping out a lot of junk but I have an algea problem. I have a 150g with a 29g sump. Not much of a bio load. I only have a clown, lawnmower blenny, scooter blenny, coral banded shrimp, starfish, and some snails. the tank looks empty. I have done quite a few water changes using R/O D/I water. But nothing seems to stop the growth. Not sure if the skimmer is the problem or what the cure is? any help would be great!!! John
Personally, I recommend getting the best skimmer you can afford. I have been very happy with my Reef Octopus skimmer.

In the meantime, what are your phosphate levels at? All other things being equal, algae and other green plants require phosphate in order to grow. No phosphate, little or no growth. Skimmers don't remove phosphate, at least not in its entirety. Get your phosphorous levels checked with someone who has a Hanna meter rather than a test kit, because the test kits aren't accurate enough. If you have phosphorous present, I suggest using Ferric oxide, or one of the other commercial phosphorous removers. I use a cup approximately every month in my 90 (sumps add an additional 30 gallons) and have pretty much eliminated my algae problems. Good luck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
phosphates run about 0.06 a little higher than I would like. my cheto and calupra doesn't seem to be growing in my sump. As far as a skimmer I just don't know which ones are good I'll spend the money but which one to buy. I hear good and bad about alot of them!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts