Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using a 20g tank that was converted to a sump/fuge (30x12x12). The inlet section is only about 6 - 6.5 inches wide by of course 12" deep. One of my next upgrades is going to be a skimmer. I am running an old Aqua Clear venturi that I was using for years on my 55.

I'd like to keep the skimmer in the sump, and of course, in the inlet section but I am limited by footprint on the width. What would your suggestions be?

This is sitting under a 70g tank btw.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
look at euro reefs rs100.
# Rated for aquarium systems of +/- 100 gallons with a medium bioload
# Sump space required for skimmer: 9.5" x 9 "
# Overall Height: 20"

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ER would've been my choice if I had the sump space for it. If ya look above I am limited to 6.5x12 ... I went with the Aqua C EV-120. Seems to be a pretty good unit thus far, still breaking in but pulling a lot out already.

·
Registered
549 Posts
could you use a rubbermaid tup for the sump? i'm using a 30 gallon plastic container for my sump, i can put rocks in there with the skimmer. for the fuge i'm using a plastic container, also. it sits up higher than the sump, a small pump brings the water up, and a bulkhead in the side returns the water to the sump. i have a 70 gal also.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why would I want to change my whole configuration just to upgrade my skimmer? It's all good, the EV is an excellent skimmer based on the research I did. Last thing in the world I was going to do was disturb my fuge and everything else to just change skimmers. This sits down in my family room and everything is nice and tidy in the stand with the doors closed. The skimmer hasn't been running 72 hours yet, it's not completely broken in and it has already pulled a large amount out of the tank. I am extremely happy with the way I went. The price wasn't outrageous either.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
marti said:
then, WHY DID YOU ASK?
LOL .... ummm .... did you bother to read my original post? I think the thrust of the thread was asking for opinions on what would be a good skimmer that would fit the dimmensions of the inlet chamber of my sump! After posting here and elsewhere and getting some constructive suggestions, I decided the EV-120 was probably the best bang for the buck that fits in the sump.

AND THAT'S WHY I ASKED !!!!

·
Registered
916 Posts
the coral life 65 super skimmer is a good skimmer for the money and small enough to fit in your sump. i used one one my 55g and it worked perfictly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts