Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a question on the tap water issue. I use tap water, but I've also got some instant water conditioner to drop in when I do the water changes. What do you guys feel on that? I know that RO water is definately better, but I'm just curious on this.

·
Registered
105 Posts
When I started my tank I used tap water and conditioner. My tank lived and did fine. I do have ro/di now. My tank still lives, and is doing fine.:)

·
Registered
748 Posts
**Isn't Grand Rapids water treated with flouride?**

I personally would not want to use tap water with conditioner in a reef tank- because I would not want to use tap water. I would prefer to use RO/DI water to ensure quality of what I am adding to my tank. If you have alot on money invested in your reef- it is worth it then.

But as for using tap water, not even factoring conditioner- everybodys experience will be different. Tap water itself will vary by location- and I would expect to see differences in local areas too- as the ages, condition, etc of your houses plumbing will affect the quality of your water too.

Some reefers here on MR have reported that tap water seemed fine at first- but due to constant discouraging algae battles they switched to RO water and some reefers even started their tank completely over to eliminate the problems caused by using tap water.
Whatever is in the water you are adding to your tank will stay in your tank and increase as you keeping using tap water to top off- the water evaporates but the metals, whatever do not evaporate.

But as evidenced by an earlier post- other reefers have no problem with using tap water.
This has been discussed before too- if you want to find those threads- just search the forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts