Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90gal drilled All Glass tank I bought new 5.5 yrs ago. It is on a very level/sturdy home made stand in my basement and is a beautiful reef tank. Apx 4-5 mths ago I noticed a hairline crack or scratch on the front side in the top right quardrant not strating from an end. It started out about 7-8 inches and is now about 12-13 inch long. If I move my vantage point closer, higher/lower etc the line seems to vanish or I can see more or less of it. So...is this a crack I should be worried about or a scratch that gets longer when I wipe my magnet cleaner across to clean the glass? It is very straight and almost parallel with the ground and is about 6 inches from the top. I can slightly feel it with my finger nail but only in some spots.
I need help to determine what exactely this is and what I should do?
I am worried if it is a crack, it could blow out and be a disaster.
Attached is a picture in photo bucket but is a little deceiving because you can only see part of it.
Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Sounds like a crack, but without photos who the hell could know. (you say you posted a photo but I do not see it)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I have the photos saved now in my name, but having trouble attaching them to this thread...will keep trying... not sure why they make it so difficult.....the pics are a little deceiving but??? The scary thought of this glass blowing out ihuge.....So, do I go out and buy a whole new tank, and put all my fish/corals through the stressfull event of swapping or let it go??? I need someone who knows about glass...any one you know would be appreciated---thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are the pics....anyone with glass knowledge I sure would appreciate some advice--thanks.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
look down the actuall glass not at it, and u will see how deep it is if its a scratch, or crack.... need pics tho

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not able to do that...but if you go to member photos I was the last one to upload (bjr) and you can see large pics.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when I look down the glass the line (crack) dissapears....I think it is an crack internal to the glass,,, sort of like a glass crystal anomolly if you will. Looking up the glass from a very low angle with my face close you also cannot see the line. It's like if you are at a certain angle, the glass internal crack becomes un visible....maybe I am not describing it well???? Has anyone ever seen this or heard about something like this?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
looks like a scratch to me. if it were a crack you would see an impact point where it started from, and you wouldnt be able to feel it with your fingernail anywhere else. also water will bow the glass no matter how thick it is in any tank. if it were a crack it would not be that straight, it would follow the glass bow.
without seeing it i cant be 100% certain, but all the obvious leads me to believe it isnt cracked.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I too would keep an extremely close eye on it. EVERY time I thought of my tank...lol If you think it is growing past any mark you do put, replace the tank just to be on the safe side. That would be a disaster and such a very sad day if the tank were to blow out.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I appreciate all the input, but have a couple questions: It this was a scratch (and I dred it is a crack), how could it get longer in a straight line? It has grown from apx 8inch to now about 12inch...The pics do not show it well, and if i were looking at only that i too would say "scratch". So before I go out and spend $300 on a new tank, and do the BIG SWAP, what or who can anyone recommend I call? Maybe a house call? I called Aqueon (who bought out All Glass) and it is no longer under warranty and the tech support guy said it sounded like a crack from our discussion, but when I sent him pics, they thought it looked like a scratch. Thanks everybody for your help. I guess the ideal thing is to find someone local who really knows glass tanks and convince him to come out with some type of enticement (money, beer, frags????) LOL. Thanks again.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Safety first. Do you really want to risk a blow out when you are not home? The loss of livestock can be tragic. Get out your checkbook and replace to be on the safe side. Great reason to upgrade to a larger size. Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts