Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all i have issues with my acan..he is recessed and turning brown..i thought it was my lights doing this to him, he is on the bottom of the tank and i raised the lights thinking i shocked him so he is roughly 28" from a 120 watt 20k LED fixture, i kept them there for a week..no progress...i was getting incredibly discouraged as my zoas and duncan were not opening up and i didnt get it because my leather and xenia were doing real good in the tank...saturday i lost two brand new clowns within 24 hours and wanted to quit...turns out i had 4 volts of stray voltage running through the tank..i made a diy grounding probe until my titanium ones get here thursday and now i have none...the zoas are beginning to show signs of life and the duncan is beginning to relax...ill post pictures of two pieces in the tank a few inches apart...thank you, and before you ask i cant get reliable test results my API test kits are all expired but i have $180 worth of test crap coming tomorrow.

SG is 1.026 and temp is 79*

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Crazy you post this as mine did identical thing about 4 days ago! Shortly after moonlight came on for me, he looked so shriveled I thought for sure it was dead as could be, I think they do this when basically taking a poop lol. By the time I woke up next day mine was starting to puff back up and now about 4 days later he's bigger and healthier looking than ever b4 in my tank

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aye, i hope he comes back around...i dont know if i need to lower my lights or anything or just leave it the hell alone for a few days lol

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Acans don't need a lot of light and can be picky about their flow. I'd keep it on the sandbed, in a corner that isn't getting blasted with light and in a low flow area. Doesn't look dead to me,I don't see skeleton.

Btw, at night or when lights are lower than normal ie moonlights they shrivel up to nothing. Next day when the lights come back on, they puff up again

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's just been getting worse under regular lighting it seems, I'll keep the lights raised and won't bother him, thanks!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Sometimes acans can be picky, they would do great for Weeks and then shrivel up. One time I left it for Weeks and didn't get a change. I just kept moving it around from spot to spot and it would do good for a while and then shrivel up again. Finally after several months it found it's home and has been happy for about a year

·
Registered
488 Posts
I agree with Troy, a lot of lps is picky with flow/lighting....but is this acan new to your tank? If it is a new addition it probably came from a system with hid/actinic, even if the light is "less intense" to our eyes it can be traumatic to the coral...I have had issues with sps when switching from 12,000k 400 watt moguls to 20,000k 150 phoenix's and had bleaching....go figure

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is 2 weeks into the tank, are they relatively adaptable to light? I really wish I wouldn't have waited to update my test kits

·
Registered
488 Posts
Pretty much everything will adapt eventually, is there an overhang you might be able to move him under and see if it improves at all?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea i tried the under the ledge thing a few days after i got him..no improvement...he doesnt look any better today..frustrating

Ca - 460ppm
Ph - 8.0
Po4 - .05
KH - 8.4
Mg - 1280
Nh4 <.25
No3 2-4ppm

bleh.

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts

Do you have a magnifying glass? Perhaps it has a bugs or do you have any dwarf angles like flame or coral beauty?

If you want I can dip it and throw it in my frag tank. I have had good luck recovering.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts