Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a moon light module that has two 1w white LED lights and two 1w blue LED lights. I mounted it in the middle of my canopy and adds some shimmer to the tank during the day, but provides a beautiful moonlight look in the tank after the lights go off.

My concern is that the lights are pretty bright, but they only light up the middle section of the tank (meaning there are still a lot of caves and other spots in the tank that are dark for the fish at night time).

Can do much light at night harm the fish? In nature, does the moon light penetrate deep into the ocean (I've never done a night dive so I'm not sure)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thats a good question. I've always wondered that myself. I have a nova extreme fixture and it has 4 built in moon lights so i would assume that moon light is ok.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just for S&G's, I turned off the moon light last night before I went to sleep. This morning when I woke up, I turned it back on. When I looked into the tank, there was a long (5" - 6") white tenticle looking thing that had a split at the end like a snakes tongue coming out of one of my rocks.

It looked like this:
----------------------<

As soon as the light hit it, it retracted back into the rock and wasn't visible any more. Does anyone know what the heck this thing is/could be?

I have had two different cleaner shrimp disappear after only a couple days in the tank and I'm wondering if this thing has anything to do with it.

Regardless... I'm still interested in the my original moon light question.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
I've done five or six night dives before, and its dark down there! Even at only twenty feet its almost pitch black. I can't remember there being super bright moon-light on those nights, but I do remember the moon was out. The only thing you can see as your descending is the bioluminescing organisms (and jellyfish if your unlucky and get a newbie diver who turns his light on early-DOH!).

Thats what I've observed in nature, but in my tanks I've run with a monlight, the fish always seem to be more active (honestly...it probably has a lot to do with the fact that we look at our tanks more at night if there is a moonlight on it). I think it may cause more day hunting fish to keep feeding come night, and cause night hunting fish to be more comforatable during the day.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I wouldn't expect too much of a concern for the fish - especially if the bright lights are limited to one part of the aquarium.

The corals and higher plants, however, do indeed need a rest period. A bit of moonlight won't hurt them, but they need near-darkness for at least a few hours.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I usaly leave my moonlights on for awhile after I turn main lights off. Then I just turn moonlights off before I go to bed.

Seems to work for me.. But then again in order to see a difference one would prolly have to study it for awhile.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts