Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have been keeping a Nano 12 G for almost 2 years now. I have a problem with a coral rock that i got from local fish store. The vegatation on the rock out growth almost everything i have. It is grow on the back of the wall (black wall) and covered 1/2 of the return in take area. I am looking for a way to fix it. I try to scrap it out and it can't scrap out as a piece and end up spreading little piece around. Any idea/suggestion on how to clean up. Thanks, Ted.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hey Ted! What kind of algae is it? What it is will help to decide a course of action. Don't worry if you don't know the name just post a pretty detailed description of it and someone will identify it and help you with a course of action.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
issue with my 12g Nan0cube

Hi
Above is the image of my tank with a specific type of coral that outgrow the rest. It even growing on the intake at the back of the wall. Can anyone teach me how to handle it.

Thx.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Hi,
Please try this image, it is a larger image.

thanks, Ted.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
12g Nano

Hi
I have just posted the image a few minutes ago. Can anyone see it? It is my first time trying to post an image, so bare with me please. The link I post may not work because it s a link to Kodakgallary.com.
If you can see the image, it is the hairy rock that i am very concern about. It spread to other rocks and i try to break one of those rock out and seat it in the middle at the bottom of the tank and not "touching" anything. But rock that is at touching other rocks keep spreading. Also, i can't get rid of those that s at the back wall on the intake area where was flow to the back. I wonder how can i stop them from growing?

Suggestion please.
thanks, Ted.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Post the pic into a photobucket account. then copy the "image" code to the forum here and we will be able to see it (sounds harder than it actually is) ;-) then we can help :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/eseeweb/DSCN0628.jpg

Hi
Above is an image and link i just updated. This time i use photobucket.com instead of kodakgallary.com. Please kindly let me know if you see it. If so, those rocks with vegetation on it is my headache.

thanks and i really appreciate your pm and help,
Ted.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yup, can see it now .. would this "vegetation" happen to be green and wavy, growing out of a purple mat? Cuz it looks like green star polyps (GSP) ...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi
They are no green star polyps. They are kind of pinkish color and they look like a mat without light. Once light turn on, a little while later, they will grow outand have wavy stocks. They grow very fast and spreading to other rocks and some found its way to the back and grow on the intake.

I brought the original rock from local fish store and thought these wavy vegetation look 'cute' but end up had to try to scrap them out from back back wall's water intake area. Also gave a rock to a friend too and moved another one to the floor at the middle of the tank to prevent it from spreading.

It sounds silly but somehow it keep growing and spreading which worry me alot. I even shortened the timer's time to have less light.

Ted.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Those are star polyps. They aren't always green, and yes, they grow rapidly. The best thing to do is take the excess that you don't want and give it to another reefer.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
ok now seeing the pic and hearing you describe it it sounds to me like 1 of 2 things, my first guess would be a type of polyp ,my next guess would be a type of hair algie but if they tuck in at night it could very well be a type of polyp, not sure anyone else wanna take a stab at this one

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
picture i took yesterday

image of the backwall where water intake is:

image of rock after couple hrs of light on:

another image of it spreading:

Any suggestion on how to get it under control? I think it is some kind of polyp too.

Again, thanks for all the help. Ted.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts