1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it is a female.

thanks all
how is the clown doing tc?

she is doing well hides all the time but comes out as soon as she gets a smell of food.

she used to only eat squid but i eating chopped uncooked shrimp now as well.
funny story is that it hatched the night of my birthday, November 27th. so it was a nice gift the next morning lol.

i feed monday thursday sunday is that too little/much having 2 back to back.

another shot

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
in his 180 he lives with

harlequin tusk
naso tang
blue hippo tang
yellow tang
a huge bangaii cardinal
and a maroon clown

gonna get around to picking up a volitan lion and that should be all cant keep much with them.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Very nice, did you hatch him or just buy him like that?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hatched her. stayed up late to get it eating but it was totally worth it! sharks beat triggers and angels in my book.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The captain said:
in his 180 he lives with

harlequin tusk
naso tang
blue hippo tang
yellow tang
a huge bangaii cardinal
and a maroon clown

gonna get around to picking up a volitan lion and that should be all cant keep much with them.
perhaps not right away, but consider the bangii done for... :) and the volitan isn't as good of an idea as you think... if the shark runs into the lion, it will sting it. possibly resulting in death...

·
Registered
825 Posts
Sharks are hard to keep I have had many of them and lost them all over time due to one thing or another. The longest I kept one was a horn shark for over 3 years. I just gave up in 2007 when my last shark died, I just can not see keeping sharks anymore if I can not give them a full life. A 180 gallon long will be a nice tank for this type of shark even if it's grows to full length. Watch out that other fish don't pick on the shark as he is small and lazy during the day and will become very active when the lights are off (good time to feed on sleeping $$ fish). But as long as you keep him full he should not bother other fish. Cooked shrimp is good but also get some shark food from the pet store in cubes as this will help his diet. Also looks like your substright is fine sand (good choice) as most bottom shark will get a rash and infection from ruff substright and then die. Also keep any shrimp out of the tank $30.00 cleaner shrimp is not a good idea if you decide to get any later. I also agree with Sharkboy87 stay away from the lion. All in all looks like your doing good I hope he makes it to a nice old age. Congrates and Happy Birthday to both of you.

PS get a pic of him and the whole tank for us.
(just so cool to see little baby sharks)

·
Registered
522 Posts
The clown is doing great! It's anemone is a pain in the butt, JK, it has found a spot hanging upside down! Go figure! They are all in with the fowlr, including a little true perc that it leaves alone! I had to put the perc in with the fowlr, no choice. But all is well!

That is so cool that you were able to get your shark eating shrimp now. Good job! She is looking wonderful.

Going to Choice soon!

·
Registered
24 Posts
d_link said:
Sharks are hard to keep I have had many of them and lost them all over time due to one thing or another. The longest I kept one was a horn shark for over 3 years. I just gave up in 2007 when my last shark died, I just can not see keeping sharks anymore if I can not give them a full life. A 180 gallon long will be a nice tank for this type of shark even if it's grows to full length. Watch out that other fish don't pick on the shark as he is small and lazy during the day and will become very active when the lights are off (good time to feed on sleeping $$ fish). But as long as you keep him full he should not bother other fish. Cooked shrimp is good but also get some shark food from the pet store in cubes as this will help his diet. Also looks like your substright is fine sand (good choice) as most bottom shark will get a rash and infection from ruff substright and then die. Also keep any shrimp out of the tank $30.00 cleaner shrimp is not a good idea if you decide to get any later. I also agree with Sharkboy87 stay away from the lion. All in all looks like your doing good I hope he makes it to a nice old age. Congrates and Happy Birthday to both of you.

PS get a pic of him and the whole tank for us.
(just so cool to see little baby sharks)
Sorry - to hear about your bad experiences with sharks.

It's not really that sharks are very hard to keep(especially if you know what it takes) - but more that keeping sharks isn't for everyone. Some people have had great successes(to the point of breeding them in sw ponds) with keeping and raising sharks. While others have a very hard time keeping them alive for just a year.

As for keeping a Brown-banded Bamboo in a 180 gallon for life - NO WAY. These sharks get too big to be kept in a 300 for life - much less a 180 gallon tank. But Bamboo pups can be successful kept in a 180 gallon for about 1 year(but not much longer). As an adult the Brown-banded Bamboo will reach about 40" in length - and require at minimum a 480-600 gallon tank (8-10'L x 4'W x 2'T) or similar size pond.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah i think i will not get a lion even though its my favorite fish.

i love how the novelty of having a shark wares away when you realize you cant keep anything else! but i think bamboos look sweet when they get older and do sort of look like "real" sharks you know?

few questions on tank mates now that you gave me the free bump
how would the following fish fare with him?
flame angel only if its 0 risk in your opinion
red coris wrasse
what else can i add>
please help

sam

also on a side note i am thinking of adding some schooling fish.
if i were to add 5 pajama cardinals would my bangaii go after them? or would it be ok?
and also could i add some of the regulare lyretail anthias?

alright any other suggestions.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Good looking baby shark! Finding appropriate tankmates when it comes to sharks can be fun....

1. Nothing that picks at all. Any angel is generally a bad idea. They pick at things, and they dont like sharks. This generally results in the angel picking at the sharks eyes, causing damge or blindness. I dont like mixing tangs with them for the same reason, but they're less likely to do it than an angel. I kept a Purple tang with some eppies for a while (2 years) with no problems.

2. Cardinals would pretty much be ideal. Small schooling fish that will leave your shark alone. Even in nature Chiloscyllium punctatums aren't known for eating that many fish. They prefer the crustaceans and such. At the Tropicorium they have two pairs of full grown Bangaii cardinals that breed like crazy in the breeder horn shark vats. They have been there for over two years.

3. Triggers...............no. They pick and are known to push rock a little, which could result in them picking at your shark or pushing a rock onto it.

4. Coris wrasse...........maybe. Personally I would stick with the more docile and smaller fairy wrasses. They will be less likely to pick on the shark. Anthias could be a good option too.

5. Lionfish probably wouldn't be a bad idea honestly. For the shark to really get hurt it would have to swim into the first five or so dorsals of the lion, which isn't very likely. Its more likely that you would get stung by it. I know that Jarrod keeps a lion in his lagoon with his sharks. I've seen all kinds of fish, including sharks swim over and literally through the dorsals on the lion. The lion has to feel threatened to erect its dorsals and sting something. Generally another tankmate wont do this, while a human hand entering the tank, or foot (in the ocean...I hope for the fishes sake you dont put your foot in the tank) would prompt a threatened response.

6. Watch your Harlequin Tusk. A few years back I had one with my eppies and he flipped out one day and went around biting at their fins. Needless to say he wasn't in the tank the next day.

7. Even a big maroon clown I could see pestering the poor shark when it comes near the clowns territory.

8. Stick with smaller, non-territorial (as much as possible), non-picking fish. Your chromis, fairy wrasses, cardinals, etc.

9. To be comlpetely safe..... shark only tank. Pick up a mate for your shark. Most shark species get along pretty good, you could get another species (make sure you research heavily before though....some sharks eat sharks). Well thats my 2cents, I'll keep thinking and post a couple more thoughts later.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
first thanks soo much for the helpful write up.

I dont know i hear too much mixed info on the lion, my baby shark is mostly blind and cruises everywhere when she gets the smell of squid. if i was going the route of a lion i would also want to add a panther grouper. but if i didn't go with the lion then there are lots of little fish that i could add not that i like them that much. lol:D

i would never want anything to happen to sharky so i need to think it over. this one shop has a huge lion that is over a foot and is gorgeous but too big for my current fish list, it could probably eat the shark.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts