Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a kalk drip and was wondering how long to let it settle before dripping? Any other advice from those with experiance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I drip Kalk at night and its setup through my auto top-off. My auto top-off is set to run from 11pm at lights out until 11am when my T-5s kick on. I stir immediately after the top off stops on a timer for 5 min. Thats it. Once a day for 5 min.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I first make it do I have to let it settle? If so how long? And can I drip it 24 hours so there is never salinity fluctuation?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Yes, you need to let it settle before you use it and you only want to be using the "clear" liquid at the top. You should only be adding enough Kalk to help keep your PH in line. Kalk has a PH of 12 and adding to much to quickly would put your tank in distress as well as your equipment. I run Kalk 24/7 though my auto top off and monitor it with a PH meter. Basically just replacing the evaporated water. Kalk itself will not effect your salinity but adding to much water could as Im sure you know. You want to make sure that you would only be dripping enough so that you are only replacing what water is evaportating while staying in a acceptable Ph range at the same time. You should also make sure your ALK and Calc are at acceptable levels before using Kalk.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Dripping Kalk Is A Pain In The A** But If You Stay On Top Of It Pays Off In The Long Run, If You Ask Me!! You Need To Figure Out Your Load, How Much Kalk You Consume, Then Figure Your Evap In A Week, Thats How Much You Mix Up Then If Necessisary Use Top Off For The Rest Monitor You Calcium And Ph Until You Have The Right Mixture

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So let me get this straight. I have taken a 3 gallon water jug and drilled a hole about 1 1/2 inch above the bottom. I then inserted and siliconed a IV drip tube. I filled the jug with pure RO and started the drip. I then monitored it for two days and adjusted until the water remained constant for a full day. I filled the container half way (1 1/2 gallon)with RO and added 1 1/2 teaspoons of kalk. I then shook the container. My intention was to replace all evaporation with limewater. My calcium is at 400 my alk is at 8 and my ph is at 8. I run my display lights from 11:00am to 11:00pm and I run my sump lights 24/7. My questions are as follow.
1. How long do I need to wait for the kalk to settle before I start the drip?
2. Can I drip 24/7 so that my salinity remains constant?
3. Do I rinse my container every time that I add more water/kalk or do I add the water and kalk let settle and start the drip?
4. The container that I am using has a 4" hole for filling at the top. Should I leave the top on and drill a small vent so there is less air exchange and I can still maintain syphon?

My tank is a 60 gallon with a 15 gallon sump. I have 16 SPS frags that mostly have full bases and are growing into colonies quickly. I have 1 SPS colony the size of an average mans fist, and 2 saucer size monti caps. I have 1 frogspawn, 1 hammer they are 5 heads each, 2 blasto wellsi colonies,1 acan colony, war coral colony, a few leathers (fist size) and asst zoas, palys, rics, shrooms ect. I have been using kent A/B to keep params in check. It is taking me more than twice the recommended dose to keep up with demand. I am assuming that my demand is high enough that I will be ok replacing all topoff with kalk. I plan on closely monitoring and testing which is why I chose to do this while I am on vacation and home all day.
Am I on the right track? I don't mean to sound dense, lol I just want to make sure I have this straight before I start the drip.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I now have my kalk on ATO, but when I dripped it I would make down the kalk in a separate container and let it sit for 24 hours then pour off the clear liquid and put that in my drip container. There's nothing magic about 24 hours you just have to let it sit long enough after stirring for the undesolved solids to settle.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
1. How long do I need to wait for the Kalk to settle before I start the drip?
- If you are using a drip, you want to mix the kalk in a seperate container, then once the Kalk settles (no magic number here) you want to only use the clear liquid to fill your drip container with. You dont want to be dripping the solids into your tank. Only the clear liquid after mixing is used to drip with.

2. Can I drip 24/7 so that my salinity remains constant?
- yes you can drip 24/7, just monitor your PH and be sure you are not adding more liquid than you are evaporating.

3. Do I rinse my container every time that I add more water/Kalk or do I add the water and Kalk let settle and start the drip?
- You dont have to rinse out your Kalk container. (see #1 for the second part of your question)

4. The container that I am using has a 4" hole for filling at the top. Should I leave the top on and drill a small vent so there is less air exchange and I can still maintain syphon?
- Yes

·
Registered
788 Posts
not to blow up the post but TM01 do you mix the Kalk in a drip container, allow it to settle and not seperate? what i mean is do you leave the powders that don't dissolve in the bottom of your drip while allowing the drip to go into your tank?

i was just curious cause i used to use a sperate mix bucket and then add, but i always noticed the remaining KALK. powder would slowly come forward and i couldn't get as much liquid out. Since then i made a 5 gallon drip for my 100 reef actually two so i can rotate, i placed the drip about a 1/2" from the bottom and have been allowing it to all sit in the bucket, then just washing it clean on for the next mix..... if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
No you dont want to be mixing the Kalk in your drip container. Your drip container should only be housing the clear kalk solution that is removed off the top of the seperate mix bucket. No powder should be entering the tank. Sorry didnt mean to confuse anyone. I thought I clearly pointed this process out.

Just to be clear. I myself use a Tunze Osmolator that runs through a Tunze Calc Dispenser. I add my Kalk directly into the dispensor which settles at the bottom. As my Osmolator calls for ATO the water is pumped through the bottom of the Kalk/Calc dispenser pushing the clear Kalk solution out the top where it then goes to my sump while the new RODI water mixes with the Kalk laying on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why would it be bad to mix your kalk in your drip container if the output hose is above the bottom aimed upwards into the clear fluid? Secondly if I am using a 3 gallon container and dripping 1 gallon per day do I stir the container daily? Third if I do mix the kalk in a seperate container is it an issue that the skin on top in the drip container is stirred up? So much of the info that you read on kalk is vague. I just want myself and others to know the absolute best practices in detail and what the consequences are for failure to follow these practices.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Why would it be bad to mix your kalk in your drip container if the output hose is above the bottom aimed upwards into the clear fluid?
- as long as you are not getting any of the powder in your drip you should be fine. Although I would recommend you mix in a seperate container and only use the clear solution in your drip container.

Secondly if I am using a 3 gallon container and dripping 1 gallon per day do I stir the container daily?
-You shouldnt have to. When you intially mix your solution the kalk will only disolve until the water becomes saturated "so to speak" and the remaining Kalk will settle. Now..If your adding fresh water to your container that already has Kalk in it from the previous use then a good stir may be needed. You do not need to rinse remaining Kalk from your container everytime you make a fresh batch either. (after about 3 times of use its probobly spent though)

Third if I do mix the kalk in a seperate container is it an issue that the skin on top in the drip container is stirred up?
-Non at all. Air contains small amounts of carbon dioxide. Kalkwasser is saturated with calcium ions. At the surface of your container of kalkwasser, the calcium reacts with the CO2 and changes to calcium carbonate. Calcium carbonate is pretty insoluble and becomes solid forming at thin skin. This skin forms a barrier between the air and the water and it from reacting with any more CO2, so the solution does not continue to loose calcium ions.

Here is some good reading on Kalk:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

1 - 16 of 16 Posts