Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm about to set up a 24 gal aquapod and figure this would a good place to bounce some ideas around and get some good advice. i already have a 8 gal biocube and 30 gal frag/grow out tank. from my little experience from them. i learned it's best to take it slow. so far this is what i'm planning:

i have the 150 watt sunpod fixture, still can't decide on what bulb to get but leaning more towards the 14k phoenix

i have the sapphires aquatics skimmer made for this tank and going to use the surface skimmer . i still can't decide if i'm going to add lr in the back and what media to run

i going to do the soap dish refugium. i figured its easy that way maybe i'll end up setting something up in the back, but with skimmer i really don't have much room

for the return i'm going to use a mj 1200 with a hydor flo

for extra flow int tank i have a tunze 6025 and two koralia nanos. i'm going to put the tunze on the back wall in the middle towards the bottom, one koralia on the left side, toward the front at the top, and the other koralia on the right, towards the front on the bottom.

i' getting 12 lbs of timora rock and 12lbs of the ultra show Kaelini rock from premium aquatics both uncured. i choose uncured mostly so i definably have to take it real slow while cycling the tank. when curing rocks is it better to do it inside the tank while cycling or outside the tank in a bucket of something? i also plan on adding rock that i got from local people that was taking dowm their tank once i get the lr i ordered cured.

for sand i not sure what to use yet. i thinking defiantly aragonite. i want to keep a jaw fish and a goby and pistol shrimp pair in the future. so i was going to get about 40 lbs of sand live or not and 5-10 lbs of rubble rock. put one layer about 20lbs of the sand on the bottom the mix in the rubble rock and put another layer on top. the main problem i'm having is most sand grades reccomended for jaw fish isn't good for deep sand beds. i thinking about gettine the carbisea special blend and use that as the top layer and their Bimini Pink for the bottom layer. depending on what it looks like once fish dosc get it in.

thats what i got so far. if you see something i'm doing wrong or missing please chime in. i'm open to suggestions and tips. i'm going to start posting pics as soon as i get the rock. this probably going to be a slow moving thread because i planning on cycling the tank at least 4-6 wks before adding anything.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Curing LR, I would say as long as you're not adding any fish or inverts while curing, cure it in the tank. That way once it's cured you won't have to worry about your tank going into another cycle once it's all added again.

For lighting. If your aren't having actinic, go with either a 14K Phoenix, they have good growth and very nice color.

I don't think you will gain much by adding the LR to the back as a means of buffering, however it would be a good place for your copepods and other micro critters to reproduce...

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
kane720 said:
to use yet. i thinking defiantly aragonite. i want to keep a jaw fish and a goby and pistol shrimp pair in the future. so i was going to get about 40 lbs of sand live or not and 5-10 lbs of rubble rock. put one layer about 20lbs of the sand on the bottom the mix in the rubble rock and put another layer on top. the main problem i'm having is most sand grades reccomended for jaw fish isn't good for deep sand beds. i thinking about gettine the carbisea special blend and use that as the top layer and their Bimini Pink for the bottom layer. depending on what it looks like once fish dosc get it in.
Keep in mind that the Jawfish, Goby, and Pistol Shrimp will totally mix your sandbed up. I tried a similar concept in my pico and within a few days the top layer of Black sand was mixed with the other:rolleyes:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fishtal said:
Keep in mind that the Jawfish, Goby, and Pistol Shrimp will totally mix your sandbed up. I tried a similar concept in my pico and within a few days the top layer of Black sand was mixed with the other:rolleyes:
thats fine hopefully they keep it mixed up. the only reason i'm doing the two different sands is so i can have a deep sand bed with bigger pieces in the mix without using crushed coral

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up going with caribsea Bimini Pink subtrate 20lbs and

caribsea specialbend (dry) 20lbs and

10lbs of rubble rock.

the bed end up only being 3" so once the rock cure i'm going to get another 10lbs bag of the Bimini Pink. hopefully that will get me to the 4" mark.

the rock i got from PA was so so. the shapes was good but i think i left it out to long and almost everything died off. i just threw the rock in ther to cure. i still havn't figured out i'm going to aquscape.

the bulb i going to get is the pheonix

the flow seem nice with the powerhead selection but the hydor flow isn't moving the water much. i think i'm going to end up getting the Y output thing i've seen on other people tanks on here. where do you get them from? i'm still trying to get the skimmer tweaked a little more. i end up having to put some rubble rock underneath it to keep it from being completely submerged. is the back chambers suppose to be full all the time?

still can't figure out how to upload picture so i'll just photo bucket it

here's a full shot the stand.it was built by the one and only canadianzebra.he made it to hold my 8 gal bio cube on the bottom.

here's a close up

here's my control center. it's not a controller but for $80 bucks it's not bad. the left power strip lets me turn on and off my powerheads, heater, skimmer, and return for both tanks. and the coralife power centers control the lights

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
place image tags around a direct link to the image.

Code:
[IMG]Picture URL Goes In Here. Not this text[/IMG]

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CUC time i was thinking the following:

6 nassarius snails

3 cerith snails

3 astrea

6 blue leg hermits

2 pepermint shrimps.

do anyone see anything i'm missing or is there too much of one thing and not enough of the other lmk thanks john

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the input michelle. yeah igoing to change the hydor for loc line so i can have flow going in differdmt directions. you sure i couldnt use more sand i already bought it lol

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
since i've been doing nothing but watching the algae grow i figure i would take a few pics of it lol. other than the GHA this pop up too:

i'm not sure if these are feather dusters or what? the red bubble thing is it red bubble algea?

i havn't had a chance to identify any of it yet. yeah i know majano i have to go get some joe's juice before they get bad. i tried the lemon juice thing but i poked intil i bent the needle and the things still came back :eek:

G

·
dont wast money on joes juice just put some salt water in a microwave safe cofee mug and put in the microwave for about five min be very carefull as this will burn you if you spill it extreemly hot and suck some up with a seringe and hose the aiptisia down with it

it dose the same thing it would do to our skin burns them and wtih them so small it burns them to death-devil -devil you may have to remove the rock and turn it over in all angles to get them all

good luck

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ryan72 said:
those "feather duster" things look like hydroids. Not fun.
idk ryan i did a google image search and they don't look like it. they're not branchy they are individual. but i have seen some things that look like hydrids in my tank. are they bad and how do i get rid of them.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tazzy695 said:
dont wast money on joes juice just put some salt water in a microwave safe cofee mug and put in the microwave for about five min be very carefull as this will burn you if you spill it extreemly hot and suck some up with a seringe and hose the aiptisia down with it

it dose the same thing it would do to our skin burns them and wtih them so small it burns them to death-devil -devil you may have to remove the rock and turn it over in all angles to get them all

good luck
thanks tazzy i'm going to try that. is doing it with saltwater is better than freshwater?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts