Michigan Reefers banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
what is the lxw on your tank excatly this will help
but if money is a big problem as it is for many of us ajm leds were pretty cheap and i ran them for 3 months or so and they did the job

if u want to stay with halides i have seen some cheap fixtures her and there for sale

McPuff correct as i would run nothing but a 10k halide on one hand and on the other hand i wouldnt run a 10k without suplamenting them as well and these days there is even a bigger choice if i have 4 bulb t5 to go with the halides i would do the folowing
2x true atinic or a super blue atinic bulbs
1x purple
1x ge 6500

to captur3 jsut about everything lol if you want bluer look dump the ge 6500 for another blue bulb

but thats just me
That is what mine is. (2) ) 150's
(4) t5's

The above suggestion you stated, you think would be enough to get them to color?

Sent from Note 2 via Tapatalk

Damon (that's my name too),

I'd say to get some 10k bulbs for your 150W halides and put in those blue/purple T5s and see what you get. Your corals look pretty good now so I imagine that would help. If that doesn't appear to be enough then I would advise against adding LED strips. Then you end up with all sorts of lights all over the place and timers everywhere... a huge mess of cords and junk. It would be better to just try to find used 250W halides (should be easy) and try the same course of action (add 10k bulbs and stick with T5s to supplement).

Or you could sell the halides AND T5s and go all LED. You'd need two of the AJM fixtures or equivalent which would run you just over $300, depending on what you get. That will provide more than enough light for your 110 and save you a ton of money on energy bills/bulb replacements... a ton.

The length is 48
Width is 24
Height is I believe 24 also
I would have to check Steve's list, but those are very close. Lol, I know the 48 is right. :rolleyes::D

And yes, money is a major issue at the moment.

Damon (that's my name too),

I'd say to get some 10k bulbs for your 150W halides and put in those blue/purple T5s and see what you get. Your corals look pretty good now so I imagine that would help. If that doesn't appear to be enough then I would advise against adding LED strips. Then you end up with all sorts of lights all over the place and timers everywhere... a huge mess of cords and junk. It would be better to just try to find used 250W halides (should be easy) and try the same course of action (add 10k bulbs and stick with T5s to supplement).

Or you could sell the halides AND T5s and go all LED. You'd need two of the AJM fixtures or equivalent which would run you just over $300, depending on what you get. That will provide more than enough light for your 110 and save you a ton of money on energy bills/bulb replacements... a ton.
Hmmnnn Ok let me put the 10ks back in. Those are the 14k's I put in this morning(in the pictures). I probably will have to do something else then, as I had and have been running the 10k bulbs with the 460/420's as supplemental.

And hey Damon!

AJM fixtures?

yeah I agree with McPuff put the 10k back in if that's all you have.
on my 120 temp tank here is what did a great job
currant nova extreme which there was one on another board for $200 shipped got good color and growth
ajm reef leds also did a nice job coarals colored up good

or 250w halides
your corals look OK I have seen worse sure hope this helps

yeah I agree with McPuff put the 10k back in if that's all you have.
on my 120 temp tank here is what did a great job
currant nova extreme which there was one on another board for $200 shipped got good color and growth
ajm reef leds also did a nice job coarals colored up good

or 250w halides
your corals look OK I have seen worse sure hope this helps
Yes it really does. Lol, the hard part is pitching this to the wife. I don't know if it's going to fly right now (and hey, no jokes... I like a happy home. .:D).

I looked up the AJM lights and they're pretty inexpensive(wish I would have known that before forking over the Grand for this thing six months ago)! So I may just run the halides, leave the Blues in, grab a purple and save up for the leds.

And yes, this helps tremendously. I've been trying and trying to figure it out. I got my phosphates down, so I was thinking it would be over a couple of days, but it doesn't seem like they are changing any longer, so I began to worry.

And thanks, heating they don't look horrible, horrible makes me feel a little better.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.