Michigan Reefers banner

Kessil or AJM LED?

2910 Views 14 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  McPuff
I'm bouncing back and forth daily about new lights. Kessil a350w or AJM Bridgelux multicolor.
Here's what I really want in this order.
1. Quality- AJM=? Kessil = outstanding
2. Longevity- AJM= 10 years Kessil= 5-7 years
3.SHIMMER!- Kessil seems 100x better than anything on market
4. Carribean blue waters - both fixtures are adjustable
5.flexabiliry- dimmable, adjustable, and mounted in canopy
6. Affordability - kessil= 350 per unit. AJM=340 both units

I want the AJM units due to cost, but for me it's all about Shimmer! Can anyone speak to a direct comparison of these 2 fixtures? Everytime I see the kessil a at the LFS, I want to stare at the shimmer forever.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
I am in the same place and think that I am going with the less expensive AJM LED. I was looking at the Lumini Asta 120r1 Chinese light. I would love to see this in person as from the specs, I think it will blow the Kessil out of the water. What prevented me from buying this light is that I already have two AJM type lights that are strictly manual. The manual control works fine and I love my new lights but the Lumini light needs a separate controller. If I was setting up again, I would buy just the Lumini lights with the controller.
I'm bouncing back and forth daily about new lights. Kessil a350w or AJM Bridgelux multicolor.
Here's what I really want in this order.
1. Quality- AJM=? Kessil = outstanding The quality of the Kessil is probably a bit better, hence why you pay more. I would say this one goes to Kessil.
2. Longevity- AJM= 10 years Kessil= 5-7 years I think longevity will be pretty similar - don't trust the manufacturer claims of 50,000+ hours - I really don't think any of them are going to last that long. Tossup on this one.
3.SHIMMER!- Kessil seems 100x better than anything on market Would say this one probably goes to Kessil also - it is more of a point source than the AJM, which helps to give the most shimmer.
4. Carribean blue waters - both fixtures are adjustable Believe it or not, the AJMs are pretty blue (actually a little more blue than I care for). If you go 100% on both, it is at least a 14k color or higher IMO. I will probably be running the whites higher than the blues because I don't like the super-blue look.
5.flexabiliry- dimmable, adjustable, and mounted in canopy This one is probably a tossup - the whites and blue are on separate circuits on the AJM lights and they can be dimmed from 5% to 100%, but it is all manual. The kessil is definitely smaller, but if I recall correctly it is quite a bit taller, so might be a bit tougher to mount in canopy.
6. Affordability - kessil= 350 per unit. AJM=340 both units This one obviously goes to the AJM lights - that is why they have been so popular lately. They are a very good value fixture and if you decide you don't like them after the fact, you could easily sell them and get almost all your money back (especially if you pick them up at group buy prices).

I want the AJM units due to cost, but for me it's all about Shimmer! Can anyone speak to a direct comparison of these 2 fixtures? Everytime I see the kessil a at the LFS, I want to stare at the shimmer forever.
My comments in red. It really comes down to whether the cost or the shimmer is more important to you. The AJMs will still shimmer, but not as much as the Kessils. It definitely won't be T5/halide different, but the AJMs will be less due to the Kessils being more of a point source.
Once again, I have a Kessil 150W and the only thing I REALLY don't like is that the light source comes from a very small diameter pod that then emits a cone-shaped light pattern leaving dark spots in the tank. I am now looking at adding a second light to fix this problem, but probably won't go with another kessil, maybe something with wide rectangular strips of LEDs.
why don't you just ask someone who bought amj lights if you can take a look there has to be someone buy you with them. I have two amj lights on my 120 gallon 4x2x2. and they have more power than my 8x54w t5's ever did shimmer is pretty good also if you want more shimmer create water tent ion on the surface.
that's what I would do
If anyone would like to check them out I have two multicolor AJM fixtures on a 75 gallon. Let me know.

Never know you might see a frag or two you would like to purchase and make the visit more worth your time.
why don't you just ask someone who bought amj lights if you can take a look there has to be someone buy you with them. I have two amj lights on my 120 gallon 4x2x2. and they have more power than my 8x54w t5's ever did shimmer is pretty good also if you want more shimmer create water tent ion on the surface.
that's what I would do
Ah, Do you think that creating more flow on the surface is the difference between the kessils I've seen and these AJM style fixtures? Saw a few videos online comparing the 2, but didn't examine the water flow in the video ( i was only looking at the lights, lol)
Once again, I have a Kessil 150W and the only thing I REALLY don't like is that the light source comes from a very small diameter pod that then emits a cone-shaped light pattern leaving dark spots in the tank. I am now looking at adding a second light to fix this problem, but probably won't go with another kessil, maybe something with wide rectangular strips of LEDs.
Yeah, everytime I see these lights, they are using multiple fixtures. for example, my LFS has a 40gal. Frag tank with 3 kessils over it. In this case, the light is well dispersed and the tank looks fantastic. but, 3 friggin fixtures!! The extra expense is crazy. I'm hoping that with lots of surface water movement the shimmer will be great from nearly any led fixture. What fixture were you thinking of going to instead of another Kessil?
Yeah, everytime I see these lights, they are using multiple fixtures. for example, my LFS has a 40gal. Frag tank with 3 kessils over it. In this case, the light is well dispersed and the tank looks fantastic. but, 3 friggin fixtures!! The extra expense is crazy. I'm hoping that with lots of surface water movement the shimmer will be great from nearly any led fixture. What fixture were you thinking of going to instead of another Kessil?
I haven't really figured that out yet. I would do a DIY kit, but my aquarium is in our living room and so I need an aesthetically pleasing light mount, not cables hanging from the ceiling. I may just have RJM build me a canopy... in the mean time my SPS is all at the top center of the tank and my LPS are enjoying life on the sandbed.
I love my AJM's and if you want shimmer make sure they have optics.

What about par and coverage. 2 AJM will do better in both. That would be any pizza box fixture tough. I recommend DIY with the new LDD drivers.
I love my AJM's and if you want shimmer make sure they have optics.
Without optics on these ajm fixtures, no shimmer? I assume the optics create a light closer to kessil?
I wondered if anyone has heard of Blueline 150w Phantom and how it compares to AJM's and Kessil's ?
Acan Led's- great growth and awesome customer service(for self induced problems).
I have 2 of the A350W Kessils and they have a brilliant shimmer. Two of them actually light my 180, though the middle is dim (but I have a 250W halide there for peak hours). The coral growth and color has been superb since I put these things on the tank. I have them hung in my canopy which is about 12" above the water... so the units are about 7" above the water at the light source. Does a great job in my opinion. Having them a bit higher would be a bit better but not much. The AJM units will be fine for sure... but the shimmer will be better with Kessils due to the point source light... and you will need some surface turbulence to maximize this effect. Finally, they are extremely compact and easy to use. Dual dimming knobs as well. I love mine.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.