Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea so jim told me today to inject them with some lemon juice. so happens i had some 100% pure lemon juice in my fridge, so i took so initiative to give it a shot. took an injector used for injecting turkeys, filled it with lemon juice, and went to town.

best method:

approach ap

aim right in the middle, but not touching, and spray. a good injector has some pressure so itll squirt pretty hard.

the lil bggers bubble up and then hang over limp within like 3 mins. ill watch in a week and see if any pop up. if not, this method def works done this way. ^.^

edit: i also used a lil more for a squirt for the larger aps.

no more worries on them coming in on new LR. best thing ever for the tank that does not want aps.

·
Registered
549 Posts
i just used pickling lime and lemon juice, no water, just the lemon juice to make a paste thin enough to use in a syringe (without the needle), dropped this into their mouths and they were gone in the next day. problem is, trying to keep up with all the new ones that keep popping up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Injecting them with fresh water works just as good, and a bit cheaper than lemon juice. Wile lemon juice will do the trick when you inject the aptashia with freshwater osmosis ocurrs and the freshwater leaves the aptasia and a bunch of salt enters it causing it to die

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mclovin_2_U said:
Injecting them with fresh water works just as good, and a bit cheaper than lemon juice. Wile lemon juice will do the trick when you inject the aptashia with freshwater osmosis ocurrs and the freshwater leaves the aptasia and a bunch of salt enters it causing it to die
best dosing would be during top off for this method thogh, wouldnt it?

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Unfortunately, they may come back with both of those methods. I've used them both and within a week or so they pop back up. I've had the best results with kalk and Joe's Juice.

·
Registered
395 Posts
i also use Kalk to kill them in my tank and it works really well. I mix up the Kalk to about the consistency of a paste and i just cover the top of the aiptasia in the paste using a syringe. I let the paste sit over the aiptasia for about 10 mins then siphon it out of the tank so there are no ill effect and it works just about immediately on killing the aiptasia.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
All you need is an army of peppermint shrimp! I have never had a single aptasia in my tank because of my two peppermints. I have them in my fuge, but I don't have any peppermint shrimp down there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hatfielj said:
All you need is an army of peppermint shrimp! I have never had a single aptasia in my tank because of my two peppermints. I have them in my fuge, but I don't have any peppermint shrimp down there.
yea my 46 gallon has about 10 peppermints around int here. only thing is they leave larger aps alone, and sometimes one comes out of a new rock. :/

so far so good, i kille d3 big ones yesterday, have yet to see more.

·
Registered
200 Posts
hatfielj said:
much in the way we encourage algae to grow in the fuge, some are creating areas designed for atpasia to grow with the same basic idea, they will consume the nutrients they thrive on in that confined area so they won't grow in the main tank. I don't know how I personally feel 'encouraging' them to grow in my system, but I don't mess with the ones that are growing in my fuge.

·
Registered
408 Posts
You should inject aptasia with either lemon juice or kalwraser into the stem for a 100% kill. If you don't inject into the stem, there is a more likely chance for the aptasia to grow back. If you use boiling water or freshwater, there is a greater chance for aptasia to come back and haunt you again. Joe's juice also works very well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I too have been battling aiptasia for over a year, just when I relax and think that I killed them all they spring back. I've tried many different of these remedies (other than lemon juice something just seems wierd about adding that to my tank). I was wondering if anyone tried Sodium Hydroxide - seems like it'd really burn them out if one was careful. I definitely like the airline hose method of dosing them that is described in this:

http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/aiptasia_control.html

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
best option I've found that works and keeps them gone is peppermint shrimp.

I have 6 in my 45 gallon.... before them I had about 10-11 aptasia's, after... I haven't seen one.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I never tried pepermint shrimp, what else do they eat? Will they bother corals or new ones that are starting to grow? Or how about feather dusters?
I've used Joe's Juice and they seem to keep coming back. It usually happens when I purchase something new when they come back. I do not know if they are on something I get or getting something new upsets the ballance of the tank. Also, I notice more after I dose the tank or feed using DT's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts