Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a show size purple devils hand leather from a local reefer. (Thanks BoBilo!)

It came on a small clay "donut", and a medium/small size peice of rock.

The "foot" of the leather is mostly on the the "donut" but it has started to grow onto the other rock.. and has become attached to the rock.

My question.. How do i remove the rock from the leather? (while keeping it attached to the donut, and not nuking the whole tank with toxins?) is there anyway to tease this thing into letting the rock go? should i just yank the rock off?

Ive fragged a few leathers in the past for friends, but ive never cut the foot of a leather? only ever a finger.
I really dont want to go hacking at it with a scapel so quick after adding it to the tank..but right now its almost impossible to position on my rockwork with this much rock on the foot. And anyway i can get the rock to sit nice half of its smooshed on the glass.

Its in a 20g, so it takes up ALOT of room and will be the main focal point of the tank when i can get this rock off and get it in the spot i want it.

On a side note, My YCG spent all night in it.. i think he found a new home!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should just be able to gently peel it off. Maybe best/easiest to wait until it has shrunk down after the lights go out?
Im going to give that a try tonight, if that doesnt work... im going to take some wire dikes to the rock and try to break it up.

After just looking at it, theres a pretty decent section of foot on it.. still 80% is on the donut.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If it doesn't peel off nice, just take it out, gently cut it off, and rinse well in some tank water. Then you can return the leather. I'd say there's a good chance that some of the remaining foot material might grow over time back.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it doesn't peel off nice, just take it out, gently cut it off, and rinse well in some tank water. Then you can return the leather. I'd say there's a good chance that some of the remaining foot material might grow over time back.
Thanks for the ideas guys!

Ill try the non-invasive idea first, if it wont come off im getting the scapel out when lights go out tomorrow night.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.