Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice on Leds. I am going with a 8 foot tank 26" deep. I am seeing so many options. Controllable apex, 20K, dimmable or not dimmable.

I am also seeing 120 watt specials on ebay. I have one recommendation to go with evo200 watt but it seems expensive for a fixture that will be outdated by its successors in the near feature.

Which one do you like and why. Does it make more sense to go expensive considering the lights will need to be replaced as technology advances or go with the commodity ebay cost effective specials?

Thanks

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ai's new "vega" is right on the horizon for the same price as the evo200's I'm personally going to hold out until late spring or mid summer for my choice.

No I wouldn't buy the eBay ones but that's just my opinion but someone who has those can chime in...

·
Registered
725 Posts
I should add if I had to buy some today I would buy Apollo fixtures and the reason is the price is on par with other fixtures and under 400 on the non dimmable models plus they will let you customize the leds to a full spectrum fixture like the Radion lighting...

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would think about doing a fixture that big yourself, you'll get more light/$$. There's a lot of info out there, I'm working on 132 - 3 watt Cree Led fixture for my 220, 6'L x 24"W x 30"H. I should have the light over the tank in the next week or so. I'll try to get some pictures before and after and with different combinations of the lights. Its not hard work, its just time consuming.

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
?

On the ebay specials I notice that the 120 watt come in either 120 1 watt bulbs for more and 40 3 watt bulbs for less.

I am assuming the 1 watt bulbs provide more coverage at lower par at the bottom vs the 3 watt. Is this true? Also why would the 1 watt be more? Which one is better of the two?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.