Michigan Reefers banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting ready to move into a new place and am going to be putting my tank in the basement. Unfortunately, the house is fairly old ('53) and the basement floor is not level. From what I can tell it's some kind of stick on tile on top of concrete. I'm not necessarily opposed to shimming but I'm just not sure I'd be able to shim around the hills & valleys in the floor.

Has anyone used self-leveling concrete to make a small pad for the stand to rest on? It's a 2x2x2 cube so the stand is about 26-27" square. I'm specifically wondering if a) it worked well in the long term b) how tall the concrete needs to be to not fracture under the weight of the tank c) if I need to scrape the old tile up and pour the concrete directly on the floor concrete (and if so, if I need to prep the floor with acid)

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
removing the tile depends on if you like it or not I suppose. If it's that old it's as likely as not to be asbestos. The good news is you don't need the leveling pad to bond to anything - frame it in to contain the pour and line it with plastic sheet.

How thick it needs to be? not really sure. as thin as you prefer I suppose. It won't crumble to dust and throw the stand out of level - the PSI will be so low as to be nearly negligible. 26*4/ ¾ is 78 square inches, assuming just a ¾ rim. allowing 1000 pounds for a 60 gallon tank setup is 13 psi. it'll be fine.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
removing the tile depends on if you like it or not I suppose. If it's that old it's as likely as not to be asbestos. The good news is you don't need the leveling pad to bond to anything - frame it in to contain the pour and line it with plastic sheet.
thanks for the info. i was mainly concerned about the pad having to bond to the tile so it's good to know that doesn't matter, which makes sense since the weight on it is coming straight down.

How thick it needs to be? not really sure. as thin as you prefer I suppose. It won't crumble to dust and throw the stand out of level - the PSI will be so low as to be nearly negligible. 26*4/ ¾ is 78 square inches, assuming just a ¾ rim. allowing 1000 pounds for a 60 gallon tank setup is 13 psi. it'll be fine.
awesome, thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
lvl

with self leveling patch the thinner the better. also you need remove tiles and use a etching chemical to prep the cement. you may want to get some plastic or metal tile edging to frame in patch for looks.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Um, no.

He was pouring in essence a continuous shim. for a temporary installation.

There is ZERO reason or need to complicate this with the unnecessary.
that's correct. it's actually done and the tank installed (and perfectly level). I took some pictures but am waiting to post them until I get the edges ground down and pretty, which should hopefully be today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well I'm late to the party...... There are a ton of epoxy type of products that do this also. They use it at work for our medical equipment. Straight and flat as glass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts