Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the SE Michigan area. I've been reading like crazy and doing my planning for a new 40g breeder aquarium. My biggest concern is where to purchase my LR. The 2 LFSs I visited are charging quite a bit for their premium LR ($8.99 and $10.99). The online alternative I was considering is Tampa Bay Saltwater, which is very reputable and ships their LR underwater. They also offer a complete package which includes an entire clean up crew. The 40g package is $492 plus shipping anywhere from $50-$80 I'm guessing.

If I can find an LFS around me that I can get all of this for a comparable price or less, I would do it. So is there any place out there around my area that offers good premium LR at something close to $5/lb. or less?

Thanks all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Kees aquarium has fiji live rock from $3.50 to #4.99 a pound with there pet club ( $10.00 to join ) depending on the quanity that you buy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

That's pretty good prices and just looking at their store pics from their web site, it looks decent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
I personally think it is the best around.They always have great stuff and prices and are always helpful.And jason is one of the most knowledgeable people in the business.I live 45 minutes away and i practically live at the store.You wont be disappointed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,770 Posts
I would check with Choice also. Their rock always looks good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
I would say go to tropicorium or Trenton fish doctor. Either place will hook you up for a lot less than almost $500 that your currently looking at. Choice does have this vanatua or something that is totally out cold. you don't need to fill the whole thing with premium stuff though and like i said trop or doc's would be good and i think win at doc's is already only $4.99 lb. If these are the ones you visited win for one i believe still has a sign say he'll match or beat mail order companies. but for sure if you can wait just watch the selling boards here for a really good deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,111 Posts
The 40g package has 80lb of LR and 40lb Sand plus water and all the inverts. Unless you have another cycled tank to keep the inverts in for the first month or two while the rock and sand cycles, most of those will die before it cycles. Not a bargain IMO

To buy just the Live rock from them it's 5$ a lb and live sand is 2$ a lb and you pay shipping on top of that.
You can find those prices locally, be able to pick your own rock out, and not have to pay for shipping on top of it. And if they pack the rock in water you are paying shipping for about another 8lbs per gallon of water in the shipment:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DlBerlin said:
The 40g package has 80lb of LR and 40lb Sand plus water and all the inverts. Unless you have another cycled tank to keep the inverts in for the first month or two while the rock and sand cycles, most of those will die before it cycles. Not a bargain IMO

To buy just the Live rock from them it's 5$ a lb and live sand is 2$ a lb and you pay shipping on top of that.
You can find those prices locally, be able to pick your own rock out, and not have to pay for shipping on top of it. And if they pack the rock in water you are paying shipping for about another 8lbs per gallon of water in the shipment:eek:
The thing with Tampa Bay Saltwater though, is they ship you a partial order first of the live rock. You wait until your tank cycles, call them back, and they send the rest plus the inverts. Plus they always throw in freebies like corals and other hitchhiker critters from the sea. I hear nothing but good reviews about them. I just don't want to deal with getting that much online. Anyway, I'm glad I posted here because now I know I can find a similar deal or better locally. Thanks everyone!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
triggerhappy said:
I would say go to tropicorium or Trenton fish doctor. Either place will hook you up for a lot less than almost $500 that your currently looking at. Choice does have this vanatua or something that is totally out cold. you don't need to fill the whole thing with premium stuff though and like i said trop or doc's would be good and i think win at doc's is already only $4.99 lb. If these are the ones you visited win for one i believe still has a sign say he'll match or beat mail order companies. but for sure if you can wait just watch the selling boards here for a really good deal.
Tropicorium is right by me and they are selling for $8.99/lb. That is pretty high but maybe they give a big discount if you purchase large amounts. I didn't ask.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
notabun said:
The thing with Tampa Bay Saltwater though, is they ship you a partial order first of the live rock. You wait until your tank cycles, call them back, and they send the rest plus the inverts. Plus they always throw in freebies like corals and other hitchhiker critters from the sea. I hear nothing but good reviews about them. I just don't want to deal with getting that much online. Anyway, I'm glad I posted here because now I know I can find a similar deal or better locally. Thanks everyone!
pet station gets all their LR from tampa bay saltwater. instead of paying for shipping per piece i just go to pet station and pick out the pieces i want. its all premium colored LR teeming with life and they charge 10.99 a pd, but take a peak at my tank and you can see the rock they get for the price. ^.^
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,111 Posts
Gonna get what you pay for with rock.
Cheaper= less life, less coraline, heavier rock
I started with about 1/3 dry base rock and added good quality Fiji on top of that.
10 years later I can still tell whats base and whats Fiji

Also keep in mind-with better rock like Fiji you usually get more rock per pound.
It's lighter and more porous
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,542 Posts
Liverock is one of the biggest myths of the reef aquarium.

It isn't a Living rock. It is a rock. End of story.

It is a rock with a bunch of stuff living on it. Mostly bacteria.

Support your local stores. Don't you enjoy being able to go to them in the car and see what's new?

You could put 2 good pieces in from tropicorium and put in regular lace rock surrounding it. In 2 months time those rocks will be just as "LIVE" as your other piece of liverock.

If you live in Brownstown it isn't worth going very far. You have trop and fish doctors both pretty close. And the fish guys is just past the airport now, although I don't know what kind of rock they have.

Plus if you use tampa bay, by the time it is all said and done with shipping, I guarantee it will be more money. Plus half of the stuff will be dead in a while anyway like Deb said, so that's a moot point. And you have no idea what shapes you're getting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kingkill83 said:
pet station gets all their LR from tampa bay saltwater. instead of paying for shipping per piece i just go to pet station and pick out the pieces i want. its all premium colored LR teeming with life and they charge 10.99 a pd, but take a peak at my tank and you can see the rock they get for the price. ^.^
I just went to Pet Station today. They said they haven't gotten their LR from TBS in 20 years. Their LR looks really good but it's darn expensive. However, they do give a slight discount when purchasing 20+ lbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
notabun said:
I just went to Pet Station today. They said they haven't gotten their LR from TBS in 20 years. Their LR looks really good but it's darn expensive. However, they do give a slight discount when purchasing 20+ lbs.
they are protecting their source then the same box they give for their LR to bring home in, is the same TBR uses. where did they say they got it from? edit: either way its fla. rock. i get my rock there, **** last week alone w spent about 800 there on rock lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,111 Posts
The Jackson Pet Station used to have nice Fiji 10 years ago, but their prices were ridiculous on it even back then. No idea what they have now. I heard the store down your way was sold sometime in the last year or two. Dont know who owns it now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
kingkill83 said:
they are protecting their source then the same box they give for their LR to bring home in, is the same TBR uses. where did they say they got it from? edit: either way its fla. rock. i get my rock there, **** last week alone w spent about 800 there on rock lol.
They did say theirs is Florida rock, but not TBS. They used them 20 years ago and they did not like their rock. Must be when TBSs rocks were young because all pictures I see of it now is very full of life.

Pet Station rock is very good, but is it really worth it for that much? I mean, if you add corals its going to cover most of the rock anyway and add color so it seems like a waste unless you just wanted FOWLR.

I'm thinking I'll go for the $3-5 variety elsewhere since I will eventually be adding corals.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top