Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is my issue, i have 1 250w single end MH, and 2 40w pc's over my 29. All of wich need new bulbs. I was planning on running a 20000k in the MH, and blue actinics in the PC's. However, Greg at stingray told me that although my tank will look good, that that much blue will not promote very good growth. wich now leads me to 2 questions.

1) What lights do you guys recommend i use? I like blue, but i also want my stuff to grow like weeds.

2) What lights do you guys use?

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'm running 2 10k 400w and i like them alot they show color and my corals grow fast too. my friend just got a fixture with 2 250w MHL they are 20k and 2 Blue VHO's and its too blue you can barly tell the diffrence when he turnes the VHO's on and then the MHL.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i was worried about, everything being that blue, however, i have a 10k now, and it is yellow, i personally do not like it, and would like a nice blue tint to my tank, but not too much. was thinking 14k, and 2 actinics, or maybe 20k, and 2 50/50's in my pc's

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I switched from 10k to 14k and really like the difference. 20k would be too blue, and like everyone else said it really lowers the par output and slows coral growth.

I think someone makes 12.5k MH? NO?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so 14k on the halide and actinics on the PC's? sound like a good color / growth combo? plus i could get my dusk / dawn effect still.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Coralvue makes a 12k Reeflux bulb they're very nice, they are as blue if not more blue than some of the 14k's out there yet you still get a very nice par as you would see closer to a 10k. Also since you have that good par, you get a lot better growth of that if you used a 14k, but they still make the colors pop.

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
Actually:D
The XM 20k and the Hamilton 14k both have better par values than the Reeflux 12k
If you are looking for less blue and more par than the 20k I would suggest the Hamilton 14k

·
Registered
721 Posts
There is quite a variety in what a "10K" bulb looks like. What bulb are you currently using.

As far as growth, your 29g is only 18" tall? If so, ANY 250w bulb will give you decent growth.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I definitely have to agree with Deb on the PAR.

However, the PAR on a bulb isn't everything. I like the colors of the 12K Reeflux better than the 14K Hamilton. The 14K Hamilton was too purple for me, but the 250w Reeflux looked a bit dim. Keep in mind that this was on a 30" deep tank. I switched to the 400w Reeflux and like it a lot.

There are several things to keep in mind when selecting a bulb. A big one is what ballast you are using. Several bulbs look totally different on magnetic versus electronic ballast.

DlBerlin said:
Actually:D
The XM 20k and the Hamilton 14k both have better par values than the Reeflux 12k
If you are looking for less blue and more par than the 20k I would suggest the Hamilton 14k

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Hamilton 14k's FTW

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
yeah i love my hamilton 14ks and i also run two of them on two 175w mag ballast....

then i run two t5 actinics .....my tank really isn't that blue and i get good growth...if you are doing sps i wouldn't consider anything higher the 14k

jmo

also

I heard hamiltons 10ks arn't so yellow and more of a crisp white...something to think about.....

Have a good one

Zac

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I now use Hamiltons 14K as well. I did use Radium 20K bulbs for a while, and the only way to keep thin from being too blue is to use them with a HQI ballast. However, it does overdrive them, so bulb life is reduced. It also runs them at about 10* higher temperature.

I once switched out my PFO brand of HQI ballast and put in another PFO (actually, tried both the standard and the pulse start) and it helped with heat but the color was way too blue.

The Hamilton looks good.... it's a nice balance of color for both the inhabitants and the owner!

P.S. I ran the 20K bulbs with no actinics. I have run the 14K both with and without. I like the extra color boost given by just one PC actinics per side of my 6' tank. Also helpful with dawn/dusk transition

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I'm running an xm 20k now, but i was running an xm 10k for around a year with minimal actinic supp. and didn't like the yellow color of the bulb, despite its insane par values. I like the 20k and seem to get good growth out of using a luminarc mini reflector. I'm using no actinic supp. with it. mostly sps by the way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts