Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So soon I will be setting up a 90g tank and I would like some decently priced lights that will give good color and support everything I want including sps. There is so many different kinds to choose from I just dont know what to do :eek: I want good color and a healthy tank. I dont know if 2 halides would be best or T5s. Was also looking at T5/Halide combos. It's just so confusing and they can get very expensive.. seems like it will be the most expensive part of the tank besides what all the livestock will add up to in the end -devil

So quality is always wanted. Yet I'm far from being rich being that I'm a student. Need help from the pro's plz!

*Edit* and I really dont want to get into a situation where I buy lights and 5 months later I wish I would have bought a different set :(

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a combo of T5 and metal halide on my tank. My 90G is only 3' wide so I have one 250w mh and 2x39w T5. I can keep anything at any level in there. I like the shimmer of the mh and the color options of the t5. I have been thinking of going with all T5 but havent done it yet.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I love the shimmer of a halide. But I think I like the blue color of T5's even more.. I just dont know what brand or setup to go with or anything. Im completely baffled out of everything. I will prolly definitly have to get used because the more I look at lights the more apparent it becomes that they are like all over $400 easily..

·
Registered
364 Posts
I would go retro. You should be able to do a dual mh setup with T5 actinic supliment for around $400. You can also find a used fixture for about that price. Just look around. Some people like to use a higher K bulb for the mh. THis will give you the bluer look and still have the shimmer. There are too many choices. Check out Diyreef.com. Debbie has some nice retro setups.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts