Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Do any of you know a LFS etc that stock or offer live blackworms for sale?

I have been in the hobby a long time and want to try and keep a copperband butterfly for the 1st time in my 120 gallon reef. I lost my matted filefish recently ( not sure what happened but found him sucked against a sureflow maxijet mod ) and now the dreaded aiptasia are returning with the filefish gone. The filefish did a great job with the aiptasia but I would like to try a copperband this time. I am taking my time and doing plenty of care and feeding research before getting one. My tank is also very established and I have had the same rock in use since 2003.

I want to have several food choices on hand and also put a special feeder in the tank for the copperband. The reading I have done always seems to start with live blackworms so I want to have these to offer initially. Can I find them locally or only on line?

Also, do you know a good LFS source for copperbands? A LFS that seems to give proper acclimation and gets them eating before selling?

Thanks for any info you can give. I live in Canton so anywhere in southeast Michigan could be an option.

Joe

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
2 i know for sure have them are kees pets in shelby township and anchorbay aquarium in new baltimore.I used to buy them there for my stingrays.And i think that maybe stingraybay aquarium in eastpoint might have them also.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know fantastic fins in Livonia has them...hope this helps
That would be great. Fantastic Fins is a nice short drive from me. Now I just have to find a good source for a copperband that is at least eating something at the store. Thanks for the input,

Joe

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2 i know for sure have them are kees pets in shelby township and anchorbay aquarium in new baltimore.I used to buy them there for my stingrays.And i think that maybe stingraybay aquarium in eastpoint might have them also.
Great, thanks for the list. They are all a bit of a drive from me but at least they are a source ! Hopefully fantastic fins works out but if not I will check out your suggestions. Thanks again,

Joe

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just called Fantastic Fins and they do indeed sell live blackworms. This works great as they are close to me. Still looking for a quality source for a Copperband ( preferably collected from Australia ) so keep those suggestions coming :)

Joe

·
Registered
445 Posts
Butterfly

I don't know of a good local place to get one....Pruess pets would be my go to place....the trop usually has them....otherwise I would buy online from live Aquarians divers den- 14 day guarantee can't be beat

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
i got mine from moby dicks , but i made sure it was eating before i bought it and now 2 weeks later it will go right up to an eyedropper and pull out mysis before i even squirt it lol

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys,

I did some looking around and found a very nice Copperband yesterday. He had been at the LFS since 1/20/12 and was in great shape. He had a rounded stomach and no signs of pinching or cysts they are susceptible to. The store fed the Copperband frozen mysis for me and the copperband gobbled every piece added ( two separate feedings ) right out of the water column. I couldn't pass on this so i pulled the trigger.

I drip acclimated and added him to my tank yesterday afternoon. Absolutely no aggression shown even by my Pacific blue tang, Kole tang, and foxface. Really happy about that! I fed the tank yesterday mysis and Rods food. Not surprising that the Copperband passed on the meal so early on. Now this morning, the Copperband ate several pieces of mysis out of the water column with the other fish. Not aggressively like my established fish but still a great sign! I am hoping for it to eat Rods food this evening. I am still going to get some blackworms for it too to make sure it is getting enough to eat. Thanks for all the input guys!

Wish me luck :)

Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts