Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at an Eshopps skimmer that hangs on the back of tank and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. There are 2 different models, 1 is for up to 75 gallon tanks and the other is for up to 100gallons. I am in the process of setting my 55gallon back up now that I seem to be done with school and would like any advice. I was using a Sea Clone 150 but it seems to be leaking at the bottom of the tube and not sure why. Any advice is welcome!

·
Registered
115 Posts
HOB. Skimmer

Never used this brand but if your budget can afford it look at the Aquamaxx HOB-1. This is a real quality HOB skimmer
Larry

·
Registered
215 Posts
I haven't used one either, I have a reef octopus bh 1000 . Most people I have heard of like this one or the 2000 model. It's quiet and does a great job!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still looking and found these 2. Reef Octopus BH90 and a LX1000. Anybody have experience with either? Pros/cons of either would be helpful also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reef Octopus

I would second the reef octopus bh 1000. I have a 37 gallon cube with limited space and no sump. My only filtration is a HOB refugium and a bh 1000. The skimmer has been an absolute beast.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I have heard bad things about the eShopps.

The Remora is only worthwhile if it is the PRO version with a larger pump.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have two Reef Octopus BH 800s skimmers. They do a good job.
If I were to replace them I would only look at SRO HOB skimmers.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Are you kidding? Have you used the remora? Yes, with the mag it is even more insane, but even without and using one of the recommended pumps, mine worked great at the time. Nothing but black skim.

I wish I just had the ability to try things because I see tons of people recommending the octopus line. I have seen them running and unless they aren't adjusted right, I haven't seen the skim material looking impressive. It's all been that light green stuff when I'm used to at least a very dark to almost black every since I began using the Aqua C devices?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
732 Posts
The main reason I didn't consider the remora was the lack of a surface skimmer.

But after a look I see that you can buy them separately at an additional cost.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I did use the surface skimmer with the Remora Pro.

There's a thread on RC right now on "Worst Skimmer Ever" and a few people mentioned the standard Remora. Not my opinion, just sayin'....

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I think most people have problems adjusting them add they are very different to set up and get working that the other methods. Before I purchased my first (the regular remora), I contacted Aqua c and also watched videos on YouTube by Steelo.

Then when I got it, I knew what to expect. I didn't and haven't had any issues besides the smell of the stuff it produces. But it's a very different theory than a venturi or bubble chopper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got my Seaclone to stop leaking but will still look for a different one. Space is the biggest issue when I find one. I can't put a sump under my tank unless it's a 15 gallon tall tank. I bought the stand on Ebay from a guy who built them and I love it! But for now I guess I'm gonna stick with what I have and continue to look at the others out there, but have been leaning towards the Reef Octopus brand.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Really from what I have heard most skimmers are better than a seaclone.

Aqua C is a well respected line of skimmers.

You may also want to look at the dimensions of the skimmers you are looking at. The reef octopus 800s is huge compared to some other HOBs, Like say a CPR backpak.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I first set the tank up back in 2007, the Sea clone was the one I could afford after getting everything else I needed. I've never had a problem with it until recently when I went to set it back up. Teflon tape worked good at stopping the leak but I'm still gonna replace it. Measurements is the one thing I have been looking at and if and how much noise it makes since it sits in my living room right behind our chairs.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The RO 800s is not loud or silent. I used to have a tunze 9010 skimmer that was very quiet, but it was also tricky to tune. I would take a bit of noise to have a reliable skimmer.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After doing what little research I could, I decided to go with the Reef Octopus BH90. So far it's far superior than the Sea Clone I had on my tank. Liked it so much that I bought a second one for my other tank! Thanks for all the suggestions.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts