Michigan Reefers banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my 40g tank set up for about 2 months know and im wondering what are some easier to take care of beginner fish? Im going to get some clowns and already have a weaver goby.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
In a tank that size, I'd suggest maybe 3 chromis. It's nice to watch them as they're actively swimming around the tank unlike the clown or goby.

Or wait a bit until you're comfortable with the tank and get a small angel like a flame angel. Just be careful because sometimes they become coral nippers.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been wanting to get a goatfish for awhile now but i was told that id need a bigger tank because he'd overgrow my 40 too quick? Do you guys think that it would overgrow it or be fine?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Goatfish? you'll need a bigger tank.

Which clowns did you have in mind?

My suggestions would be springer damsels, Royal gramma, clown goby, and chalk bass.

not all of them mind you. but most under appreciated.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just thinking like some ocellaris clowns or mocha clowns and i had a clown goby and he never ate. And i had some yellowtail damsels and one was doing goof but then last week i didnt see him and haven't seen him since and i had got a domino damsel that i was told wasnt aggressive but he ended up picking on everything so i took him back.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Flame angels can get real mean. I'd go with a coral beauty angel instead.

Maybe a six line wrasse and a yellow coris wrasse or a solar fairy wrasse. They're jumpers so keep a screen or lid on the tank.

Green chromis. But stay away any other type of damsel or chromis as they can get very very territorial.

Cleaner shrimp are always cool to watch.

Any of the cardinals, banggai or pajama.

I've never had any luck keeping royal gramma's alive.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Actually, I would suggest staying away from damsels and clowns.. Active swimmers, honestly, as they have tons of personality, a small either Niger or pink tail trigger.. Yes, they will get big, but.. They are hardy and very entertaining fish that love to react with you. Small angels, they can be tough because they love some sponge in their diet.. I have a spot breast, but supposedly, they can get decent sized also.. But she is a meat eater(well, honestly, proving to be anything eater) also..

My stocky anthias is pretty darn sturdy..

I'm trying to think what else that is sturdy but won't become a menace.. A goby/pistol pair, but be ready for tunnels..

Blennies also, and hawk fish.. Both entertaining!

A foxface also, just a small one, as they are algea killers! And are very, very easy..

Might want to consider some brackish fish like monos also.. But they can be aggressive towards one another.. And they eventually do get big..

I mentioned fish that get larger, simply because, if you buy them small, that will give you a year or two.. And honestly, if your still with the hobby by then(not to be a Debbie downer), your going to upgrade your tank, so they would make great candidates at that time, and you won't have to spend a ton on decent sized healthy fish..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd suggest checking out captive bred fish if possible. Always nice to make hat choice when it's available.

I think a great first fish is the Court Jester/Rainford Goby. They will feed completely on hair algae, pods and will sift sand. mine does all 3 fairly balanced.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update. Ive got a pair of snowflake clowns, a weaver goby, and an aptasia filefish. Still looking for other fish or inverts. So if you have anything for sale that would be fine in a 40 gallon let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fish Ideas

You could do all sorts of blennies , cardinals , firefish , and top it of with one of the centropyge angels (dwarfs) but keep in mind they may nip any coral :victory:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Are blennies okay together? I have a starry blenny right now and wouldn't want them to fight.
As long as you don't get another algea eating blenny you should be fine. My signal blenny and starry even shared a barnacle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would add a few chalk bass. They're cheap, hardy, stay pretty small, reefsafe, colorful, get along with everything that won't eat them and are pretty active. I have two and they're awesome. Just be careful when you buy them. Stores tend to keep a ton of them together and they seem to be prone to ich aka cryptocaryon irritans.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts