Michigan Reefers banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for good lights for growing coral that don't break the bank to buy, I've heard people talk about the Chinese lights from eBay but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at any recommendations or suggestions are welcome and appreciated, thank you for your time.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Gonna say what was told to me when I first started. Water quality. Doesn't matter what kind of light you have, if you have bad water quality then it won't work.

With that being said, what kind of corals you plan on getting?

·
Registered
121 Posts
i used to run a orbit marine over my 2 tanks. i grew about everything. eventually put a china box way better color and growth for perty much the same price.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I used a black box for a while on my 29g and it did ok, but Weimers said it best. They go hand in hand. My tank husbandry wasn't all that good back in the day. So I can't really say it worked due to me being lazy haha.

But I've come a long way since then. I currently run Photon 48 V2 and that thing is a beast. Little costly. Not as expensive we the others haha.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
24 isn't that deep...but for sps you'll need a lot of intensity...you'll be limited to t-5's (my personal favorite), halides, or leds (never used but there are accounts several well knowns in the hobby going back to t-5's or halides).

My old tank was around 24"...I ran 6 t-5's over it and grew everything.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I got a extra halide pendant if you want to go that route I use them and I think unless your going to drop a lot down on high end leds you can't beat them especially for depth text me if interested 9895903729

1 - 9 of 9 Posts