Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy of mine is looking at glasscages , any info on them at all......

Thanks..

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't have a review of glasscages but I've been looking at them a lot since
I'm new to the hobby. I also found GREAT reviews on a local company, they're a sponsor here too, many great reviews in the "vendor" section. Check them out at http://www.greatlakesaquariums.com/index.html. I'll definately be getting a tank from them when I'm ready for a large setup. -Steve

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was gonna say the same thing I have a friend that had a 1500gal. built but wishes he would of went to GreatLAkes said it would of cost him a couple grand less then what he had paid after all was said and done due to a LEAK in his tank a month after it was up and going....

·
Registered
748 Posts
Reef Central has some bad reviews on Glass Cages making large tanks- breakage, etc. And some so-so reviews on making smaller cheap acrylic tanks- you get the quality that you pay for- and some people are happy, some unhappy.
I would search Reef Central to see. There might be some good threads about them too- but it always the bad ones that get bumped alot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
this is really off topic of what your discussing but, im new to Michigan Reefers all i need to know is how to post questions/threads think you can lend me a hand.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i went thru glasscages to get my 65g tank which i love its acrylic and very durable, i bought it thru ebay tho on there ebay store shipping wasn't too bad, and it got here pretty quick so i can't complain, they also will drill tank and put in overflows if u want so thats nice, hope that helps
wally

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I know a few people with glass cages tanks.. they are heavy and overbuilt..!! very nice.. the silicone is a little sloppy like you might have to clean some.. but as long as you folllow instructions for the stand and such I have not seen any problems...I think they are a good company.. the problem with aquarium warehouse is they will not build anything over like 300 gallons so if you want LARGE you have to go elsewhere..

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, this is a good friend who has been out of the reefing hobby for about 10 years, we had some pretty insane collections of fish back then.

I want him to get a very good tank in about the 300 gallon range,glass is must, it needs to be top notch due to the fact his living room will be its home, would hate to have issues ...

I like heavy built, just what we are looking for, any issues with delivery promises or any other build issues?

·
Registered
324 Posts
John Brancheau said:
Thanks guys, this is a good friend who has been out of the reefing hobby for about 10 years, we had some pretty insane collections of fish back then.

I want him to get a very good tank in about the 300 gallon range,glass is must, it needs to be top notch due to the fact his living room will be its home, would hate to have issues ...

I like heavy built, just what we are looking for, any issues with delivery promises or any other build issues?
Miracles in Glass is in the Toronto area, they have received many excellent reviews. Also check out Aquariums For You out of New Jersey.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
John Brancheau said:
I've been looking at glasscages , any info on them at all......

I want to build the biggest, baddest, 300gal stony tank in SE Michigan

Thanks..
Fixed some grammatical errors for you John:D

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks MC. will do.

Tony,

Ya know I do not have that in me anymore, I would love to try a 300 plus though...

It would have to be at least 48 deep .....

·
Registered
721 Posts
I got my custom tank from glasscages with low iron glass. I had a mixed experience with them. I love the tank, but they messed up the dimensions. It was supposed to be 52x24x31, but it ended up being 54x24x31. I would order from them again, but skip on the low iron glass for 1/2" glass.

The mistake occured because they responded to my original request for a 52x24x30 tank indicating that the size glass they use would be 54x24x31, we talked on the phone and they indicated that it wouldn't be a problem to change the size to 52x24x31. I measured it when I picked it up in Toledo and chose to accept it anyways. Looking through their paperwork, it looks like the new size only made it onto half of the paperwork.

I've had it around two years now. It is definitely built like a tank. They brace the bottom inside of the tank with a double layer of glass (kind of like eurobracing on the inside), which I haven't seen other manufacturers do.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Was looking for a new tank which I needed to put on hold due to other issues. worked with Glass cages and became very frustrated due to their inability to customize the tank. When I discussed bulkheads and mentioned Salvko ( unsure of spelling ) the woman I was dealing with said she wouldn't trust them. When I asked why she said because she didn't know them and I should buy her bulkheads. I didn't think it fair for her to discredit someone just to promote her own business. I told her at this point that I needed to consider my options and to put the project on hold. I did talk to Choice for a quote but they never got back to me and after calling and waiting my project did get put on hold. If I do decide to pursue this project I am unsure who I would use but I wouldn't use Glass Cages.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I heard from several folks that they," suck" at customer service. They are rude and demeaning, but i heard that once you get past the customer service the product is unbelievable.... I was thinking about getting a frag tank from them. Hoping someone here will have it cheaper used!!!!!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
If you don't mind shelling out some dough for a quality tank I would recommend checking out aquarium obessed. They make custom aquariums to any specification you ask and their tanks look amazing. They are pricy, but not unreasonable. Search the large tank forum on reef central and there are several members there with some of the nicest tanks you'll ever see from aquarium obessed. My next tank is going to come from them. I already have a quote in hand for a 72X36X24:) They have excellent customer service too by the way. They promptly respond to all emails.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replys guys, my buddy ordered the 300 wide, it will be ready the second of Feb., will keep you all updated......

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Just letting everyone know we are taking quotes on bigger tanks. We are looking at building up to 8 feet long and up to 48 inches wide.

brad

1 - 18 of 18 Posts