Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Deb,

I was looking for a new 250W SE MH bulb. I have an icecap ballast and currently running a 10k XM bulb without supplemental lighting.

Since I replaced the T5s on the 75g tank and got it to look more blue, the tank that has the MH is looking yellow.

I was hoping for something with decent PAR but know that is a tradeoff for getting bluer light. I don't mind it looking white. I would mind it looking yellow.

What are your thoughts on these bulbs your selling?
XM 15,000k Bulb
Hamilton 14,000k Bulb
XM 20,000k Bulb
Radium 20,000K Bulb

Thanks.
-Joe

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I'll just chime in and say i bought the xm 20k and really like it. It is a very blue light, but by now my eyes are used to it. If you want something more white 20k may be too much blue. I think the 14k is something to look into.

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
Lets see
Your XM 10k is giving you rough par values of:
IceCap ballast-115
M80 ballast- 182

The Hamilton 14k
IceCap ballast- 69
M80 ballast- 99

The XM 15k
IceCap ballast- 47
M80 ballast- 80

The XM 20k
IceCap ballast- 53
M80 ballast- 79

The Radium 20k
IceCap ballast- 66
M80 ballast- 85

I usually recommend the Hamilton 14k over the XM 15k
They are very blue at first, but whiten up some after a week or two.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Deb for the par value comparison... thanks everyone else for your experience...

looks like the Hamiltons 14ks would be the way to go for me..

I'll put in my order in the next week or so... i plan on attending the mmc swap so i can pickup bulb at that time...

thanks again!

·
Registered
379 Posts
hope you don't mind me chiming in deb. I have an icecap 250 and I've had both the hami 14k as well as the radium 20k. I saw almost identical growth out of them as should be indicated by the closeness in par. The major difference obviously is in the color. The radium is a much much bluer bulb then that of the Hamilton. The Hamilton does exactly as deb says starts blue then turns to a fairly crisp white. Price aside personally I liked the radium bulb more than the Hamilton, because it really makes colors pop on all coral.
I hope this helps
Brent

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope.. just the type of feedback I look for so I can make the best informed decision. thanks Brent!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Another possibility would be the Reeflux 12Ks. They've only got a 51 PAR on IceCaps, but they appear quite bright and give good growth.

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
What appears bright to us is useless if the par value is too low. Par is what matters for the corals. I hadnt heard Reeflux bulbs were that bad, less than the XM 20k? That terrible for a 12k bulb.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Hey Deb,
You're banging out them par values like you got a meter at your house.:D Do you happen to know the difference between the 400W XM 15k and the Hamilton 14K on the electronic IC ballast? How much bluer are the Hamiltons? Just curious, as in a few months my XMs will have over 2000 hrs. on them.
Thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
379 Posts
actually right now I'm using a reeflux 12k and I cant stand it. When I first bought it the verdict wasn't out on it's par and reefers on reefcentral had decent success with it so I figured I would give it a try. At first the bulb was extremely blue for say 2 months, then it went to a really crisp white that brought out the colors on my corals, but now after 10 months the color has gone yellow and my growth is down to a snails speed. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS BULB. I would recommend either the hamilton or the radium.
Brent

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Thanks Brent and Deb for the links! I had it bookmarked some time ago, but had since lost it and couldn't remember where I had found it originally.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts