Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to see bleaching and loss of polyp extensions and most of my SPS corals. Also, my Anemone is turning from white to brown. I know I have had a problem with flatworms and got rid of most of them, although I removes 2 off the glass today. I thought I would setup my 50g tank in the basement and start moving the corals down there. I have been wanting to move the 125g in the basement anyway and set it up differently. So, here is my chance to do it right when I get the 125 drilled. I have a couple of questions I hope you all can help me on.

1) How do I make sure I don't carry any worms or diseases to the 50g? Should I use a reef dip. If so, what do you suggest?

2) I have quite a bit of coral and fish that I will be putting from a 125g tank with a 40g sump and a 15g fuge to a 50g tank with a 40g sump. Will it handle the bioload and what supplements should I use to encourage coral growth and health?

3) When it comes time to move and setup the 125 can anyone around here give me some help?

Please PM me for direct help if you are in my area and would not mind coming over and helping. I live in Kalamazoo on the North East side by Sprinkle and Gull Rd. Otherwise please post your thoughts and suggestions here.
Also, I will be using the 50g in the basement, after temporary home for my corals and fish, as a frag/ grow out tank so I need as much info/help as I can get to do this right. I have lost 1,000's of dollars worth of corals over the past few years due to impatience and not knowing enough. I do not want to make that mistake again.

My 125g information:
PH=8.2
Nitrate=20
Nitrite=0
Ammonia=0
Calcium=450ppm
Alkalinity=7 (thats the number prior to dividing and everything)
Tank Light= Odyessea 72" (3)175W 15K MH, (4)65W Blue Actinics, (12) moonlights. On a timer from 11am-11pm.
Fuge Light= Odyessea PC 24W 50/50
Sump light= Clamp on with 100W compact florescent (the grow bulb got water splash and broke)
Protien Skimmer= yes
Calcium reactor= NO (want one, waiting for student loan to get :)
Sump has LR (approx 50lbs)and an area with Plenum design.
LR=(not including sump)300lbs
Mixed reef tank with SPS, LPS, softies.
Hippo Tang
Yellow Tang
Blue/green chromis
2 perc clowns
indigo dottyback
6 line wrasse
scooter blenny
Royal Gramma
Coral Beauty
Redbelted Anthias (female I think)
2 cleaner shrimp (1 in fuge, 1 in tank)
Marble Shrimp
Fire shrimp
various snails

Thanks all,
Mark

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nitrate-20? This is rather high for SPS I believe. Okay for fish but not good for corals. It also looks like your 125 is quite heavily stocked. Have you checked your Phosphates? A heavy bio-load along with a heavy feeding schedule would lead to high nitrates. Do you run carbon or anything else that would bind up nitrogen waste?

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
You need to put some names after the numbers. Your nitrate are high if you are measuring No3. If it is No3- then they are getting high but OK. Your alk at 7 is on the low side for SPS and is probably your problem. My guess is the combination of the water quality (high nitrates) and low alk along with whatever you treated the flat worms with is why you are seeing a set back. If you did not want to make the move I would suggest a few large water changes and increasing your alk to 10.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
7 being the number prior to dividing by 2 for the standard test is 3.5 mEq/L. I run carbon. For the flatworms I removed them with a siphon and netting tube. I am measuring Nitrate NO3. Water changes are not seem to be helping much, if at all, that I can tell. What is the best way to increase alk? Kalkwasser? If kalkwasser, where do I get it in Kalamazoo?
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have seen tanks with 50-nitrate (not going to use any names) that look like they should be TOTM, so while I feel 20 isn't a great number it really isn't high enough at least I don't feel to cause bleaching like you speak of. generally if the sps have been fine for months than suddenly they all start to bleach you need to look at something dramatic you have done to change your chemistry and shock your coral ie dosing to fast, not enough or even to much at one time. Also it can be caused from lack of water changes. Even though all of your params look good and you have a protein skimmer poor water quality can occur. I find when I do water changes weekly instead of monthly (dog days of summer) my sps growth doubles, colors are better, and polyp extension is much better.
hope this helps in finding a cause.
ps. what sort of flow do you have in your tank. Lack of flow can cause lack of polyp extension in sps.
and with the moving of your tank if you know you don't have red bugs or aefw you shouldn't need to bother with any dips. chances are that would just put more stress on the coral and increase the chances of them RTNing completely

Brent

·
Registered
379 Posts
Kalkwasser really won't boost your alk
The cheapest way is to use this:

Recipe #2, Part 2: The Alkalinity Part

Dissolve 297 grams of baking soda (about 1 1/8 cups) in enough water to make 1 gallon total. This dissolution may require a fair amount of mixing. Warming it speeds dissolution. This solution will contain about 950 meq/L of alkalinity (2660 dKH). As mentioned earlier, Arm & Hammer is a fine brand of baking soda to use in these recipes. Be sure to NOT use baking powder. Baking powder is a different material that often has phosphate as a main ingredient.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php/#5

Really an alk of 7dkh shouldn't cause the sps to rtn, they will not thrive with great color or growth.

I just noticed you have one of those odyessea fixtures, which bulbs are you running in this? are they xm15k or some wierd brand also how old are they? this could be your issue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts