Michigan Reefers banner
1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  mike_cmu04 
#1 ·
So I just lost everything in my reef tank and frag tank all my corals and fish due to power outage from the storm last week. I just got done removing everything from my tanks and am trying to figure out what to do next. Do I want to start over? or sell everything? its such a hard decision knowing the time and money I put into my tank. I did have a generator on the tank I just could not keep the tank warm considering the temp in my house was 43 degrees for 4 days. I have a 92 gallon corner tank with a 65 gallon frag tank and a 75 gallon sump in the garage. Does anyone have a 93 corner and know a way that I could get a sump and all my equiptment under the stand. If I do start it back up I am gonna keep it all under the stand and get rid of all the stuff in the garage. I guess I am just looking for some fresh ideas to get me motivated again.

#4 ·
Sorry you lost your tanks. I know that really bites.

I'll presume the 75 is super insulated, so that's a non-issue. If not, encase it with 2-3inches of foam and make a good fitting cover that you can also insulate. In any case I can't imagine running a decent display with lots of fish with the restrictions of a small sump.

How do you run your hot water heater? What I mean is does it have electronic ignition or a standing pilot? I think I'd look into switching over to a hot water heater set-up. The circulation pump draws minimal wattage, and costs about 150 or so depending on where you find the pump. This would be easier to maintain temps than resistive heaters. I'd bet would cost less during the cold season here too, even without a power loss.

#7 ·
Not trying to steal this thread but what do mean by using a hot water heater setup?
Using a closed loop hot water heat exchange through the sump. You use a temperature controller of some type to trigger a circulation pump on a hot water heater.

There are a few threads here on the topic. It may not be for everyone, but in certain situations or volumes it certainly is a viable option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.