Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just tested me mag and it is low. i am planing on using some epson salt to bring it up. the calculator i used says to use 13.8oz was woundering about how many table spoons wound that be.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Yes add it slowly over a couple of days. You will get an imbalance in your alk and calcium, as it goes up so monitor them all until you reach your desired level of about 1350.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Agreed, adding enough to raise the concentration by about 100 ppm per day seems pretty safe for most folks.

You will get an imbalance in your alk and Calcium, as it goes up so monitor them all until you reach your desired level of about 1350.
Hmmm, adding MgSO4 shouldn't affect calcium or alkalinity except in reducing the rate of abiotic precipitation of CaCO3. I'm not so sure about that ;) (bold added)

cj

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm using seachem reef adv magnesium on the label says no more than 25g a day.
How I’m going to be able to raise 100 ppm a day?
Is it safe to raise 100 ppm a day with seachem reef adv mg?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
tpal said:
I'm using seachem reef adv magnesium on the label says no more than 25g a day.
How I'm going to be able to raise 100 ppm a day?
Is it safe to raise 100 ppm a day with seachem reef adv mg?
No more than 25 g/day per what volume? It makes no sense to give a quantity dosage without taking into account the volume of the system. 25 g/day of a Mg supplement in a 5 gal desktop tank will be very different than 25 g/day in a 500 gal tank ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think mine was always low, I had a huge problem with algae, my rocks were always a mess. I started treating my zoa with vit c, which contained magnesium stearate, (not sure what that is) but everything looks good, and my algae has died off, so I think there is something to be said about the high mag, which I tested now and it is 1600.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I use the Seachem reef Mag as a buffer to increase my pH levels but when I added the suggested level to a cup of water and added it in my refugium it killed all my plants??:confused: Is this not meant to be added directly to the refugium or does it need to be added slowly? Also if I add it in the display tank my corals all close up quickly when it comes in contact which them?? It try to stir it into a soulution but it does not work?

G

·
sKuLLy said:
I use the Seachem reef Mag as a buffer to increase my pH levels but when I added the suggested level to a cup of water and added it in my refugium it killed all my plants??:confused: Is this not meant to be added directly to the refugium or does it need to be added slowly? Also if I add it in the display tank my corals all close up quickly when it comes in contact which them?? It try to stir it into a soulution but it does not work?
I'm not so sure the seachem reef mag is used to buffer PH?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Agreed, magnesium supplements shouldn't signifcantly affect pH upon addition. If critters are reacting negatively to its addition, perhaps you're trying to add too much at a time?

·
Registered
298 Posts
jim197722 said:
I'm not so sure the seachem reef mag is used to buffer PH?
Jim197722 - I was told by my LFS in order to raise your pH you must first address the alk issue otherwise the pH buffer will not work. Not sure if that's true but because he has more experience with pH than myself I took his word for it.:confused:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
A pH buffer is, effectively, just an alkalinity supplement that will mix to a highish pH. I would never use a "pH buffer" in a reef tank. If the alkalinity is low, adjust it. If it's not then one must tackle excess CO2 issues.

A magnesium supplement is not a pH buffer though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So i have a question too, i checked my magnesium today as well and its at 1500 should i try to lower and if so how do i go about doing that? Everything else was good calcium is a tad low for my likeing at 400ppm

1 - 20 of 21 Posts