Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one male and three female Lyretail Anthias. The largest female looks to be changing to a male. I first noticed when she started to chase everyone in the tank, she is morphing from bright orange to a strawberry color. She now has some "war paint' on her fins which she did not have last week. Each day she seems to be more and more strawberry colored. It is pretty hard to determine if she is the male or not at first glance.

The current "male" is getting a slight orange coloring (like me females). He is allowing the large female to dominate him.

I am documenting the morphing with pics as this is very cool to see happening on a daily basis. I just hope I don't end up with two males and a fight to the death.

Does anyone have experience with this in their tank? I am hoping he continues to turn orange and falls into the female role. What have your experiences been with morphing Anthias?

·
Registered
911 Posts
From what i've read, males cannot morph back into females. I'm not sure about how well it's going to go for him to change rolls though. You might eventually have to split the two males up. =/

If not? Then hoorah! Sounds like an exciting feat. I've only seen the before and after on a changing anthias. Never got to see it actually happening.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anthias Pics

I attached a few pics, they are not the best cuz I am trying to get the shade change, but you can see one is when she was smaller and orange along with the original male, one is from behind and the purple that is now on her tail, and one is a head on shot where her pink is really showing cuz of the angle. Right after that shot she turned to the side and looked orange. Its like a pink shading that is getting easier and easier to see.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.