Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just came out into the livingroom and said you light on your fishtank is flickering? I have a d/e 250 watt m/h. Its one of those Current Outer Orbit Pendants with the T-5's. Its not even 6 months old?? I have never seen it do this before. Im thinking its the bulb? What wood make it have a strobe affect like that?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now she tells me it went off than on then off then when it came back on the second time it started flickering. Has anyone ever had a light just go out for some unknown reason and than things where ok after that?

·
Registered
768 Posts
check ballast

A light can go out unexpectedly just for no good reason just like any other bulb, but this olny happens occasionally. Hopefully its the bulb because it will be a lot cheaper to fix. Unfortunaly this flickering that you are describing makes me think it probably is the ballast! Is there anybody around you that could test your ballast? My lfs has checked some of mine in the past. This way you should be able to tell if the ballast or the bulb is causing the problem.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its back on and running for the last 15 min or so with no issues so far. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I dont think she will let me spend another 500 on a new light that is only going to last less than 6 months. LOL

·
Registered
373 Posts
i had the same problem with my current outer orbit fixture. it ran for about 6 month with no problems then it started to flick like a strobe. i had to replace the bulbs no more flicker.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts