Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was tired of not being able to easily clean the backside of my tank. Sooo, I took out some live rock, and wanted to go 2 stacks on each end, this is where I ended up. I was getting bored with the old set up, here is before and after. I only took out around 70 lbs of texas holey rock and some live rock

Was:

Now:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do like it better too, but now the fish are forced to come out. My kids really don't care about the coral like I do. But I do like how much more active the tank is now

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Texas holey rock is solid rock. Not porous at all. I was concerned about that too, but what I took out was basically 3 giant pieces.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I figured the body type to be naso, I just couldn't remember it's name. Thanks for clearing that up for me. "I can't put my finger on it tang in the group of three to the left in the first picture" was going to be a bugger to keep typing.

Still a full house. :)

That's a fine collection of clowns too.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Nice setup, I do like the open feel of the new setup, and I'm sure the tangs appreciate it... As you already know I'm sure (and it's what others are alluding to) Most tangs get large and need room to swim. That number of tangs will definitely need more space than 90g, and a few of those guys will get BIG or need lots of swimming room. I hope you plan to upgrade in the semi near future (some time within a couple years) or your tangs will get stressed and become imunosuppressed. They will then be at high risk of catching disease and dying.

Another concern is the bioload on your tank. Big fish = Big Poo... If you didn't do anything to suppliment the loss of the rock I.E. moving it to the sump, or setting up a biopellet reactor. You may be in for a crash.

I admit that I haven't read into your setup if you have it posted elsewhere, and I have no idea on what you have going, or how long its been setup and running etc. I'm just covering the basics. Please understand I am not trying to flame you, or tell you what you can or cannot keep in your reef. I'm simply making an observation and basing my suggestions off of my own experiences.

You have a nice looking setup, and a beautiful set of fish. Many of which people in the hobby would tell you not to keep together :jester: It's nice to defy the "my way or the highway" types sometimes... Just remind them, fish don't read books :flood:

Happy Reefing my friend!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I set up my bio-pellet reactor 2 weeks ago. Most of the fish I have will be traded in for juveniles of the exact fish. Some of them are getting to the point right now. The clown fish don't show aggression towards each other like everyone says they will. The only time they did was when I introduced an anemone to the tank. After that, the anenome was taken out. But, since everything was put in at such a small age, I feel like they're the same exact specimen. It's funny that all the tangs "school" together on occasion. They typically just swim on their own. I definitely appreciate everyone comments.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts