Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have to say, i dont have any water in the tank yet or rock or sand even. and im already sure this is my latest addiction lol.

as you may have guessed this is my first SW tank, i have had a few FW tanks in the past but this is my first step into a SW tank of my own...yay :)

the first step i took twords my new hoppy was attaining a new tank. its an 85 gallon reef ready tank made by the aquairum warehouse. this is a great tank very solid construction and i got a very nice stand from them as well at a price that made my wallet smile :) its messuerments are 48x18x22H and i can reach every part of the bottom with out my arm pit getting wet too.

i have a 29 gallon tank (also made by aquairum warehouse) that i put baffles and dividers in to make a sump/fuge. and i have a quiet one 6000 for a return pump.

i did my best to keep the plumbing as bend free as possable but in the end i got a little creative with the return, if anything i think it neat hehe. right now there is a durso stand pipe for an overflow, but im considering trying out one of those gurgle busters but im not sure yet.

for lighting i picked up a nice fixture with 2x250 mh and 4x 65w PC actinics and 6 led moon lights, the fixture is made by odyssea and seems rather nice, stays pretty cool,good wiring and solid construction...the MH ballast on the other hand get a little too warm and when you pick them up they are rather light...now this may be my first ballast of this type for an aquairum but its not the first MH ballast ive seen by anymeans. and like a power supply for your personal computer good construction has a bit of wieght to it. fortunatly these wil be easy to replace with something of higher quality.

ive cut eggcrate to fit the top to keep thing out/in and ive also cut eggcrate to fit the bottom of the tank, my thinking here is it will help spread the weight of the rock a little better and make it easier on the glass, as i plan to put the rock in place then add the sand so future tank occupaints are less likley to cause an avolanche.

and ive purchased a coralife pure-flo II 50 Gpd ro/di as ive read more times than i can count "dont use tap water for your reef"

and thats how far ive made it so far, im going to putting black vynel on the back of the tank, as i really dont want to make the big of a mess with the black pait lol, and the electrician should be out this weekend to put in the gfci's so i dont burn down me house.

after that i think im going to start filling it with water and toss in a power head and heater and starting mixing it in the tank and start adding the rock and sand once the temp and salinity are on.

also i was thinking about getting the rock and sand in and getting the cycle going then ordering my skimmer while the tank is cycling..is this a bad idea,should i get it before i start the cycle?

and with all that said how about some pics of what i got so far

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
this is the sump/fuge

and these are the lights, on the table running for awhile to make sure nothing is going to try to burn the house down

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh i forgot, i wanted to use the euro reef rs 80 for a skimmer and thats what measurements i made the skimmer section in the sump for...any oppinions on weather or not im making a good skimmer choice?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well made some more progress since my last post, picked up the euro reef rs 80.

just got done adding about 85 pounds of live rock and 120 pounds of sand.

i decided to fill the tank with RO water and mix the salt in the tank. and i was to do this before i added my rock and sand hehe.

with the salt content at 1.025 i added the 85 pounds of rock and a configuration that i really like, it seems to have some character hehe.

then i added my mountain of sand, im aiming for about 3 inches, think i may have over shot it a bit but thats ok. going to have to wait for the cloud to disapper and fill in the gaps got some neat lookin pics with all the lights on though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well the cycle is on hehe, now its time to figure out something for a canopy. i think id like to hang the fixture in a fashion so i can adjust its height to help acclimate my corals so im thinking its going to end up like 14 inches high or so.

so any oppions of where i could find a canopy like this, or am i buying some carpentry tools hehe

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
very cool, I love tank setup/build threads.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if your going to use egg crate make sure you have a canopy the reflection from the MH off the white egg crate is out of this world, we are pretty sure we are going to get a tan in here now when we are using the computers lol. besides that it seems to work pretty good i do not notice a light difference in the tank with egg crate on or off.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Your set up is looking great! I noticed the finnex controller box. I would have a back up heater for sure! I had one and the heating element went in 2 months and the controller in 4!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well im impressed it really cleared up well over night, still not there but definitely better.

thanks for the heads up barav17 ill keep a close eye on this heater.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well its been a bit more than a month now, things seem to be coming along rather nicely thus far. ammonia and nitrite are both 0 and have been for over 2 weeks now, and nitrates are slowly dropping now too. tested today with my api test kit and looks to be about 30 ppm(color definitely in between the 20 and 40 mark).

Had a diatom bloom albeit its the first one ive seen but i don't think it was all that bad of one..no pics of that unfortunately. but it just looked like my sand bed got a little rusty was all, also i started to notice more hitchhikers at this point than i had before. so i thought to myself "i bet the algae is on its way" and what do ya know things start to get a little...shall i say hairy hehe.

so in with the clean up crew..well not all of it anyway i stated with 6 astrea 6 assorted hermits and 8 nassarias (sorry about the spelling btw), over night they seemed to make a difference, and after a week they even showed me my bubble algae and aptasia issue lol. so after a few days back to the lfs for me for some peppermint shrimp and emerald crabs...ended up with all that and more astrea snails a turbo snail cause it was orange hehe, and a baby engineer goby. well to say the least it the shimp and crabs two days to rid the bubble algae and aptasia that i could see, hoping they will keep what i cant see under wraps as well.

i added a little more rock since the last post as i wanted a bit more in the display and got a bunch in the fuge, think im up to about 120 pounds or so overall. ok and with all that said how about some pics :)

and a rare breed of cat fish

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well its been about a month time for an update. all seems well had some cyno but it seems to be slow dying off now. i added one of those two little fishes reactors with carbon in it and i noticed a difference almost overnight in water clarity.

hehe and well not much else to say accept i have to say im lovin my little chuck of the ocean and ill let the pics do the talking for me i guess

encrusting gonipora

nice shot of my florida richordia (sorry about the spelling)

and the crown jewel of the tank (in my oppioion anyhow)

thing is my mom actully got this for me...and i quote "you need this, your tank needs more color".....and wow can she ever pic a health animal, and i thought it ended with dog cats and horses lol. anyhow that pic is from today nearly a month after it arrived, here a couple shots that really show how it has grown.

day 1

today

and this is what happens to everthing that gets near it...even you

and believe it or not, no snails where harmed in the making of that photo lol, i couldn't believe it when i walked in the room to see that snail making it way along the glass. unfortunately the cam died before i could get a FTS, ill get it first next time

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well it been about a month and time for an update.......not much to talk about as its been a pretty good month. so how about some pics.....

the anemone is doing great eating anything that gets near it hehe.

well out of the pile of pics i took those are the ones that i think are good enough to post, although im beginning to get the hang of this camera and i think there coming out a bit nicer now...maybe im nuts who knows hehe

1 - 20 of 24 Posts