Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I have a 55g mixed reef and I have a spare 20 or 29g tank Im not sure off hand what size it is. But I want to make it into a sump/refuge but I need to know wha equip I need to. Get because I cannot drill the tank so I need some sort of hob overflow or something and I need to know what kinda pump to get and what the best design is so lemme know what the best way to do this is also I want to try and keep it kinda cheap so if any of you have extra parts I would like to know what u want for em lol

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
If you need a hang on the back overflow, I would get a CPR with an aqua lift pump and a Mag 5 internal pump for return

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh ok I gotcha. I'm just going to get a new 55 cuz this one is superglued right now anyway lol if only I could upgrade lol so why a mag 5? Like what's the difference between pumps?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have always ran mag pumps and they have always been reliable for me. The higher the # the stronger the pump is so a mag 9 is much stronger than a mag 3. I have a 55 gallon tank in the garage if you are interested for $25

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it in good shape and everything? It's not drilled or anything correct? I'll most likely take it from ya but could you should me a few pics of it just so I can see it or I can musts top by tomorrow or something

·
Registered
465 Posts
Fuge

There is a member on here names Crow he has a fuge for sale. I know there a lot of do it your selfers on here.

I leave that to the pro's - sometimes it just easier spending a few bucks rather than deal with your own mistakes..

:close_tema:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sent him a pm. You don't know what he's selling or sure do you? Like size and what he has for pumps and stuff do you?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Ok. I have a 55g mixed reef and I have a spare 20 or 29g tank Im not sure off hand what size it is. But I want to make it into a sump/refuge but I need to know wha equip I need to. Get because I cannot drill the tank so I need some sort of hob overflow or something and I need to know what kinda pump to get and what the best design is so lemme know what the best way to do this is also I want to try and keep it kinda cheap so if any of you have extra parts I would like to know what u want for em lol
Take the 29g, goto a glass shop i.e. (great lakes aquarium) have them make you 3-4 pieces of glass that will fit the depth and the height (minus) 3" and buy a tube of aquarium silicone, take it home and silicone the glass panes in the 29g making sure to leave enough room for the skimmer in the first area, and the return pump in the last section, the fuge will work its way out in the middle...

easy.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I bought a sump with baffles because I was too lazy (and dumb) to make my own. Well after ripping apart my stand and getting the 29 under my tank, screwing it back together and filling up the 75 . . . I realized the baffles were wayyyy too small (thanks Kenny LOL) I almost cried! But I went and got a glass cutting kit and home depot sells pre cut glass panes. Needless to say it turned out good. I was into the project for $22. My advice is do it before you put the set-up together! Honestly if I can Do it myself ANYONE can.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I bought a sump with baffles because I was too lazy (and dumb) to make my own. Well after ripping apart my stand and getting the 29 under my tank, screwing it back together and filling up the 75 . . . I realized the baffles were wayyyy too small (thanks Kenny LOL) I almost cried! But I went and got a glass cutting kit and home depot sells pre cut glass panes. Needless to say it turned out good. I was into the project for $22. My advice is do it before you put the set-up together! Honestly if I can Do it myself ANYONE can.
Anytime! You're welcome!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts