Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, my water chemistry is almost on the money save for my high alk value (@5.37). I've worked hard to get my head around the factors that influence my water chem. values but I need some help. I'm grateful for any and all comments.

The details:

-160 display remote plumbed to a 100 gallon sump;
-mixed reef of a few SPS, many softies;
-GEO 618 Ca reactor managed by a pinpoint PH controller set to a midpoint of 6.6 PH for the chamber;
-slow Kalkwasser drip (@20 drops/minute);
-tank PH of 8.25
-tank Ca at 420
-tank alk at 5.37, sometimes a bit higher.

The corals and fish seem happy, growth is reasonable. For the life of me I can't figure out how to control the alk level. I drop the bubble count of the Ca reactor and Ca levels drop too. Should I drop the Ca. bubble count and increase the Kalk drip rate? Kalk seems to raise Alk and Ca. in proportion while my Ca. reactor seems to raise Alk. more rapidly than Ca. when the bubble rate increases.

Input?

With thanks, Mike

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Get your levels right with 2 part additives

When you adjust the reactor, go very slow, and test the water the next week

And of course, check the Mg like phong said, it plays a role with ca/alk balance

Don't feel bad, you're not alone. Everybody that has a reactor has been through this at the beginning.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Phong, Mg is at 1200 (and that's after a couple recent water changes due to treatment for a flatworm issue water change). I don't dose Mg but rather have hoped my every 10 day 35 gallon water changes with reef crystals would hold my Mg up. Novi Tony, I've shut everything down (reactor and kalk) three times now over the last couple months and brought everything into balance over a series of days using two parts yet levels stray again when I fire things slowly back up (reactor). I'm very patient. Could not paying attention (and dosing) Mg be the reason alk climbs and Ca. stays low?

Mike

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
the more water changes you do the more your problem will increase. in my experience, i was using Reef Crystal and decided to test the water that was made with ro/di. the calcium level was at 370. i did this again with a diffrent batch of Reef Crystals. this time 360. perhaps i got two bad batches in a row, perhaps Seachem makes bad test kits too. third time was with Instant ocean and a new Seachem test kit. it tested 370. after a little research i was disgruntled with almost every salt mix available.
ok, ok, i see i babbled way too much. so just check your water perameters on your next make-up water. but please PM me your results to verify if i just got bad batches.
thanks

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Beakerbob is selling 5 cup bags of mag-pellets for $2. Mix that with i think 3 cups of epson salt, and mix in a 1 gallon jug with RODI, for a total volume of 1 gallon, and you now have one gallon of mag dose, for under 5 bucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts