Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for ideas as one of my mandarin gobies is refusing food and loosing weight fast. He won't eat any live or frozen foods I have tried. All other fish including his mate are fat and eating normally. I know it is not a lack of as I am constantly adding live cultures of pods and there is visible pods everywhere.

·
Banned
130 Posts
Those fish are very finicky even to the most experienced keeper. I suggest a mature tank of 3 years or older with a well established refugium. We all know how hard they are to keep.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those fish are very finicky even to the most experienced keeper. I suggest a mature tank of 3 years or older with a well established refugium. We all know how hard they are to keep.
My tank as a whole is 6 years old, just under 2 as a reef. It has two seperate refugiums for pods to grow. He has food to eat just wont eat it. He stares at it for a while, starts to stalk it and then just swims off.

·
Banned
130 Posts
Sounds like your system qualifies well to keep that specimen. Again, those fish are hit or miss. It's the chance we take and part of the ever learning hobby even though they might perish or survive. Good luck with the little guy.

·
Super Moderator
2,488 Posts
I am looking for ideas as one of my mandarin gobies is refusing food and loosing weight fast. He won't eat any live or frozen foods I have tried. All other fish including his mate are fat and eating normally. I know it is not a lack of as I am constantly adding live cultures of pods and there is visible pods everywhere.
That very rarely eat frozen foods. When I set up the 300 Gallon with dry rock I was very worried about my target mandarin that has been with me for 2 years. I bought two large bottles of Reef Nutrition Pods and it survived and is with me 2 years later. I have never seen it eat but it will hover over rocks and pick the critters off and is always fat. Id get a bottle asap.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The thing is I do feed live pods and he is still going downhill. The first few months he fattened right up then started loosing weight again. The female is still as fat as ever. I give live pods at least twice a month on top of the plenty my tank produces. I think he is sick but dont know what to do.

·
Registered
85 Posts
These fish are very hard to keep as I am sure you know. I have just one in my 55gallon that has been with me for over a year. I trained mine over three months in a breeder box to eat frozen reef plankton, and pods from reefs2go. I still supplement pods every two weeks. But this still does not ensure that they will continue eating for the rest of there life. For some unknown reason they will still eventually stop eating in captivity.

You can maybe try a $10 breeder box that is the net style and make sure you have a powerhead kinda pointing at it. That way any frozen stuff will stick to the sides and trick it into thinking it is copeopods. Also I would go straight for some cyclopeeze. Most have had great success with that stuff and it is very nutritious.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I caught him stealing food from my plate coral last night... he ate a lot of the mysis I had fed the coral. I hope this means he is over whatever was bothering him. I have had him about a year as well and worked hard to get him fat. Before this instance. He ate well, perfering live but would take frozen then all a sudden stopped eating both until last night.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may keep letting him steal from the plate. . I normally don't let fish do that and will cover it if they try but if he is eating that way.. I think ill put food on the plate every evening and let him scavenge it. Then once a week cover the plate so it can eat. Does that soud like it is a good idea? The mandarin doesn't touch the plate and only picks the food that he can reach from a safe distance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts